Wifi reciever

To plug into my new workshop music system I need to devise or find complete a wifi reciever that will put out a line-out signal for the pre-amp. Initially, I can plug my smartphone in, but I'm thinking of something more permanent - and cheap, it's got to be cheap.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Does it need to be WiFi? There are cheap bluetooth A2DP receivers and transmitters ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

For ease of picking up a streamed radio channel that's coming in via the main PC (actually from the wireless modem). I could just put a mini FM transmitter on the SCART output of the WDLive box (it does internet radio). I've had a look on the Chinese techogadget sites and so far the only wifi option seems to be another smartphone. I did find this...

is perfect, but I'd hoped to find a DealExtreme variety of that for much less dosh.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

What is the source of the stuff you want to play? Streamed audio from the internet, or access to files on a PC / DLNA server etc?

Does it matter how big it is?

Reply to
John Rumm

Both, but it's mainly internet radio I'm thinking of.

Physical size isn't an issue - plenty of space, and the amp boxes are full-sized anyway. I've found a few internet streamers but they're all annoyingly high-priced. Where are the cheap knock-offs when you need them? There's a couple of really cheap media streamers on DX, but they need a TV to see what they're up to. If it wasn't for that, they'd be perfect.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Scabby second hand laptop would be one obvious option...

Reply to
John Rumm

Something like

made with a Rasp Pi?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I have an old one that wouldn't even know what a USB2 dongle is, never mind run it. Looking at the prices some of the early low-spec but with wifi Android phones get , a plan forms. As I said I was just going to use my own phone to get it running but don't want to leave that there permanently. A 20quid phone - doesn't matter, don't care - it can stay there.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Still need a display to see what it's doing. No, a used shit old phone has everything on it - and some of them are cheap enough.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Why not just grab an old pc destined for the scrap heap, streaming audio would be an easy task, and if you simply wanted one stream it could be made to go there at boot up.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's the hassle of booting up, fiddling around with mouse and keyboard and too much farting around - on top of already having to turn on, tune in the internet box upstairs. Looks like an old Android phone is the way and I notice that as the older ones fall out of favour, they plummet in value. Hooray for obsceneness

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The display is included in that - it uses a character LCD driven from a serial line.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Where?

Grimly Curmudgeon

I might be missing something from further up the thred but if you are going to use an Android phone over Wifi and presumably that WiFi has access to the 'net just bung the TuneIn app on the phone and not bother with the "internet box upstairs".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well, hooray for that too, but I actually typed obsolescence.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Exactly so and it can piggy-back onto the main internet connection of

60GB per month, rather than use the paltry 1GB of my mobile provider.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

B-) 128kbps internet radio will only use about 45GB per month (24/7...)

Only 15GB for 8hrs/day...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I wonder how we used to get by on what we had, even with some downloading going on.

It'll be for two hours a day, if that; my back calls a halt, especially in the winter months.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Or an ipod Touch?

Out of interest, what would be a decent smartphone for, say, £100?

Reply to
RJH

Alan Braggins