Width of toilet

Does anyone know the "official" width that should be allowed for a toilet installation so that the user's elbows and knees don't smack into the walls?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I wouldn't want a toilet to be any narrower than those under-stairs loos. How wide are stairs ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

The stairs are about 80cm wide. The currently proposed width for the en-suite is 90cm, to allow for a reasonable shower tray. Do you think 90cm width would be too claustraphobic, especially as it would be situated in the eaves, with the roof height being an issue?

I have scope to make it wider, but don't want to make the bedroom any smaller than absolutely necessary. It's currently shaping up at about 5.5m into eaves by 3m, which should be OK, but any increase in en-suite size takes away from the 3m dimension.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

| Does anyone know the "official" width that should be allowed for a = toilet | installation so that the user's elbows and knees don't smack into the = walls?

I measured quite a few for a project and came to the conclusion that

800mm was about the minimum. I looked, but never found a standard.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop Sick of Premium SMS scams, SMS marketing, Direct marketing phone calls, Silent phone calls?=20 Register with

they work :-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

We have a 90x190 ensuite, and I think the toilet has sufficient room. The reason I went for 90 was the same as yours - the shower tray fits neatly across one end.

Where would the roof line go? Above the toilet?

Reply to
Grunff

IIRC, I allowed about 1m for mine, which is more than adequate, so I can't see 90cm feeling cramped.

Reply to
John Rumm

Christian McArdle said the following on 05/12/2005 16:59:

According to the Metric Handbook, 800mm wide and 600mm clear space in front of the pan.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx x x x x xxxx xxxxxx x x xx x x /\ x x x x 800mm x xx x x \/ xxxx xxxxxx x x x x x xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx x

or, if there's an inward opening door, you should allow an extra 200mm in front of the pan to allow you to stand to one side whilst you open the door into the space. This assumes that the door is 700mm wide. For a wider door, allow more clearance pro-rata.

Reply to
Rumble

Rumble said the following on 05/12/2005 23:06:

See here:

Rumble

| Christian McArdle said the following on 05/12/2005 16:59: | > Does anyone know the "official" width that should be allowed for a = toilet | > installation so that the user's elbows and knees don't smack into the= walls? | >=20 | > Christian. | >=20 | >=20 | According to the Metric Handbook, 800mm wide and 600mm clear space in=20 | front of the pan.

Do you have any more information on the Metric handbook? |=20 | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | x x | x x | xxxx xxxxxx x | x xx x x /\ | x x x x 800mm | x xx x x \/ | xxxx xxxxxx x | x x | x x | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | x |=20 | or, if there's an inward opening door, you should allow an extra 200mm=20 | in front of the pan to allow you to stand to one side whilst you open=20 | the door into the space. This assumes that the door is 700mm wide. = For=20 | a wider door, allow more clearance pro-rata.

Disabled ambulatory toilets have outward opening doors.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop Sick of Premium SMS scams, SMS marketing, Direct marketing phone calls, Silent phone calls?=20 Register with

they work :-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I wouldn't like one of them following me around the house all the time....

Reply to
Chris Bacon

That sounds good. It would lead to an approximately rectangular room, then. If I go much wider than 90cm then the room will be narrower at one end than the other.

Yes. The toilet will basically be wedged into the eaves. I still need to do some more calculation and measurement to determine the headroom at that point, as the position will be dependent on the exact going of the stairs and the size of the landing.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Never played Jet Set Willy?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It's disabled, silly. :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

That only means it can't go up stairs!

It's a Mark I Dalek ambulatory toilet.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Christian McArdle" wrote in news:439478a5$0$1641$ snipped-for-privacy@read.news.uk.uu.net:

My bog useter be 2'6"/75 cm widw before I had it knocked into the bathroom.

It was tight for me, FAK knows how the previous owners missus,(a large lady) coped.

but I think another 15 cm would make it acceptable

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Ours is 81 cm and I've never had a complaint (apart from before I moved it to the centre -- it was 2" from the wall on one side). I wanted to demolish the wall and incorporate it in the bathroom, but I was vetoed. There is quite enough room to close the door as it is quite long. The downstairs facility is wider (120cm) as it is shorter, and incorporates a full size basin. The door will only open if you aren't standing in front of the pan.

Reply to
<me9

So it looks like the consensus is that 90cm will be fine. I'll probably hang the door to open into the bedroom, as this will allow the toilet closer to the shower, giving more headroom.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I've got a DSB that's 900x1200, with a corner basin - it's OK, but a fat person might find it a little cramped. The door opens out and is 2' wide by 6'2" high.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Chris Bacon wrote in news:4396b2f1$1 snipped-for-privacy@newsgate.x-privat.org:

That''s a good point - my old bog had no basin, and absolutely no way to get one in, except perhaps opening the door outward into the passage, which would also be unnacceptable.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

The message from mike ring contains these words:

Sliding door?

Reply to
Roger