Width of thicknessers

I've cobbled together a few planks to make up a Lazy Susan but the finished platter would benefit from being run through a thicknesser to bring it down to the same thickness as the table top. The trouble is, it's a shade under

24" in diameter.

Am I likely to be able to find a woodworkers workshop that'll have a thicknesser that wide? (I live in Ayr)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Joinery shop may be able to help or someone with a wide belt sander. Try Yellow Pages for furniture manufacturers, joinery shops at al

You could jury rig a type of sled to do it with a router but perhaps life is too short

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Wide thicknessers are fairly common in bigger woodwork shops esp furniture makers, and timber merchants so I'd just keep phoning around. Or do it by hand. Would have been easier if you had thicknessed the boards first before joining - slightly over size and then reducing the finished thing to desired size.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

How much do you need to take off?

Sounds like a job for a wide surface sander...

Alternatively, and if you intend to do this stuff often, you can get thee down to ebay and get a good old Stanley/Bailey #6 or #7, spend a while sharpening the blade and setting it up, then plane it down the old fashioned way.

I'm just flattening off a glue-up for a coffee table in that manner, and it's quite satisfying work. "Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking" and Garrett Hack's "The Handplane Book" both have good instructions on the technique to use.

Finally, I suppose, you could always just go at it with a belt sander - it will take an age, and produce copious bags of dust, but you would get there in the end.....

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Indeed - how about, er, hand-planing? Perhaps you're being self-deprecating with your "cobbled together" description, but it doesn't sound as though you need any precision beyond what you'll get from a sharp hand plane.

Or a belt sander?

Reply to
John Forbes

If you can't find a shop with a wide sander/planer could you get the look of it being thinner by using part of a large diameter round over bit in a router or using a router with a straight bit to remove some of the thickness round the circumference . Would depend how high the susan is off the table but if most is in shadow then why remove all of it just remove the bit you will see when seated?

Steve

Reply to
steve