Widening the Drive

I've got to widen our drive this year and because the road is higher than the house it will need a retaining wall built. I feel happy enough building this, but I was wondering what best infill material is? I assume it will be layered with larger stuff at the bottom, up to finer under the concrete finish.

The retaining wall will be about 3' high and the overall area is roughly

9' sq.

TIA

Reply to
Danny Monaghan

Details for concrete drive construction can be found at

According to this you would probably want to use a granular subbase material such as DTp Type 1. All the builders merchants I contacted last year called it Grade 1 MOT, for some reason (the old name, perhaps?)

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

MOT type 1. Yes, Excellent stuff.

What I did for a small reatining wall was to build i on quite msall foundatins with a concrete block bak and a brink front, everything tied togeher with ties, and with mortats and hal;f bricks dumped dow teh pback amd pierecd at ntervals to let wate drain.

Then I rough backfilled the base with rubble and gravel. In my case it was a garden retaining wall, so subsoil was used next, but I would be inclined to use scrap hsrdcore up to say 5 or 6" below finsihed level then MOT type 1 and whack it down hard.

And there I would stop for at least a year. I have left my drive like this, and only now after 12 months of cars is it bedding down to a proper hard surface and not sinking anymore.

Then once its stable, top dress with whatever - tarmac, concrete, or gravel.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b.c:

Cheers for that :)

So by the looks of things, I can infill most of the area with general broken rubble/spoil that I can buy off Mr Skip Hire, then finish off the last 6" with the MOT type 1, before the concrete.

From what is said on the pavingexpert website, crusher run isn't suitable for this because it's a drive - am I correct in that?

Reply to
Danny Monaghan