Wide fence panels?

I need to build a 2.1m high fence and have existing stub concrete fence posts that seem fairly solid so I'm wondering about bolting wooden fence posts to them ... BUT they're 8ft apart. Does anyone make 8' fence panels? Alternatively, is there any reason not to use 2.4m feather edge horizontally?

Reply to
unknown

A local fencing contractor will surely oblige...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

When I wanted non-standard "panels" (actually closer, rather than farther apart), I simply made a fence in situ.

Half-round (approx. 6 inch diameter) lengths horizontally. (I actually cut shallow housings into the posts. About half an inch deep.) Fix posts. Then sling up the half-rounds with coach-bolt type screws. And add palings (in my case, I left gaps between then for effect) secured with stainless screws.

Reply to
polygonum

Depends what you mean by stub concrete posts. If they are high enough and solid enough, with at least two or three cast in situ holes (originally intened for horizontal wires) they may already be big enough to accomodate coachbolts or threaded bar of around 10mm diameter.

If so then sandwich the concrete posts with a couple of 4 x 2's the full height of your fence. Then 3 x 2's horizontally (top middle and bottom) to span the gap between the posts fixed to the 4 x 2's with screws. Then feather edge vertically fixed with nails, preferably from a nailgun if you don't have, or don't want to have arms like popeye. Finally a gravel board screwed to the bottom 3 x 2 rail on the reverse side of the fence.

Doing it this way you also have the option of fully encasing the concrete posts with wood so it just looks like a massively built wood fence without the rot problems of wood posts in the ground.

P.S. The green coated coachbolts stocked by Screwfix and Wickes are the dogs bollocks for outdoor use.

Reply to
The Other Mike

It's quite easy to make up fence panels. I did some in my last house for the next door neighbour (well, I had a vested interest in his fence being sorted), whose contractor had set the posts so badly that panels kept falling out. If you look at their construction, it's pretty simple to follow for your own sizes. A bit expensive compared to buying the standard ready made ones but I used better materials.

On the other hand, surely you can get 8' arris rails if featheredge appeals?

Reply to
GMM

Arris rails and feather edge is the fall-back, but I thought 8' panels might be cheaper and faster ... so far no luck so I think a variation of the Arris rail approach (see TOM's reply) is called for

Reply to
unknown

That's an excellent idea and will probably look better than horizontal feather edge. Thanks!

Reply to
unknown

We've just had a new feather-edge fence installed with the posts at 3m intervals. It's a bit floppy, and I rather wish we had asked for the posts to be closer together, but it's not too bad. 2.4m will be quite a lot stiffer than 3m.

Reply to
Martin Bonner