Wide fascia board - best solution?

I need a fascia board to cover:

2" wall plate 7" joist 2" purlin Metal roof profile Plus a bit more perhaps

this comes to between 12" and 13" wide and up to an inch thick. I need a run of 7.8 metres.

I can't immediately find 13"/325mm wide sawn timber so I was wondering which was best.

(1) Get shuttering ply or OSB and rip some strips from it with a circular saw and butt them end to end.

or

(2) Use two runs of 6"-7" wide timber butted side by side.

Either way there will be joins. I can't decide if it is better to have a few vertical joins or a continuous horizontal one plus one or more verticals.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

You can buy UPVC fascia board that wide and approx 18mm thick. Trim strips cover the joins. It wiill cost more than wood but then no painting/rotting issues.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling

You can buy UPVC fascia board that wide and approx 18mm thick. Trim strips cover the joins. It wiill cost more than wood but then no painting/rotting issues.

Sounds good :-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts

You can buy UPVC fascia board that wide and approx 18mm thick. Trim strips cover the joins. It wiill cost more than wood but then no painting/rotting issues.

Dave.

the 400mm = £OUCH!

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Another option would be a stepped facia. The depth you require would look quite slab like in one bit. So you could have say a 7x1 covering the top of the wall, wall plate and bottom of the joists. Then fit a packer to the ends of the top of the joists, and a 6x1 facia over that. It will have the effect of making the roof look "thinner", and the step will avoid the problem of water getting into a joint etc since there will be a natural overhang.

I had a similar problem (for different reasons) with my loft warm deck dormer roof - that has 6" deep joists, with 80mm of insulation, and 19mm ply on top, making getting on for 10" of height. By creating a step it broke up the visual impact such that you did not notice the height:

John Rumm

Unfortunately the metal roof finishes flush with the front of the joists so the back of the fascia will have to be there to form a seal.

However if it looks too gross I could always have a 7" bottom run, a 6" top run, then put another run of 7" board across the top front to overlap the join and give the stepped effect.

Just had a though about a 3" run across the top, 7" run across the bottom, then 7" run across the top. Less wood and the only problem is filling in the 3" gap at either end. Probably getting too fancy at this point, though.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Thats expensive for sure, but when you factor in your time and materials to prime, paint, maintain over the years perhaps its cheap deal? I bought some upvc soffits and fittings from a plastics trade outlet in our town and they were happy to give good price so it might be worth shopping locally. Getting a 5 metre length home might pose a problem if you only have a roofrack though.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling

Not only is it uPVC, it also looks like UPVC.

Best avoided, unless you like that look.

Reply to
Bruce

Or the back of the packer? For that matter, since the roof is not on yet, could you not bring it forward an inch or so to cover any facia or facia and packer?

Yup, would amount to much the same thing.

Reply to
John Rumm

Or get your local timberyard to make wood to fit. But that wide it might warp over time. And think of the hassle of painting it every few years, and the danger of falling off a ladder.

If you use plywood get a better quoality than shuttering, , its more waterproof, or exterior grade, the boat-building quality stuff is hugely expensive, but the shuttering ply will rot quicker with the expense of time and money of fixing it...

I'm using softwood for mine, primed and painted with oil paint, but I'm dreading getting u there on ladders in 5 years time, or the cost of scaffold.

Scaffold's coming down net week so I'd better get back up there, just stopped for a cup of tea!

Plastic has none of these disadvantage, but it looks like plastic. If you have a nice rose people will look at that, not at the plastic.

Have you thought of the colour? Black and white are boring, green is quite good, I did a survey while I was delivering liberal leaflets early May!

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]