Wide came suppliers

We need some 1" wide, anyone know where we can get some?

Local glass workers don't use it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What are you after again?

Reply to
George

Wild cane?

Reply to
Bruce

Try a dictionary.

came(2)

noun a lead rod for framing a pane in a leaded or stained-glass window.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Tempsford or Creative Glass Guild in Bristol are the only .two I could think of.

Creative list up to 20mm, but it's always worth phoning

''t think I've ever seen bigger than this though.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You must have looked it up then Tim? to be honest I thought she might of mistyped 'M' instead of 'N'

So why doesn't google reveal 'came' as a lead rod?

Reply to
George

W i d e c a m e ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I thought you might pop up Andy, haven't seen you around for ages!

It might do, thanks, I'll try them. When we're back from Sacrewell.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Try "lead came". Its that "H" x-section lead extrusion that holds staned glass together. And no, I didn't know that until now. Thanks Mary.

Reply to
Graham.

Thats all very well saying "lead came" now, but when theres an important word left out then it becomes a bit of an head scratching with the other word missing.

Reply to
George

Honestly George, I knew exactly what Mary was asking about. And I think quite a few others also did. Often I do not understand - but this time I did!

Reply to
Rod

It does seem that some authorities spell it 'kame' - might be useful in Scrabble that one ; now if you had spelt it that way Mary, everyone would have dived for the dictionaries and been informed immediately

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Or thought she was talking about IPv6!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Think of it as a quiz, or perhaps the question was crouched in the jargon that only a fellow stained glass enthusiast would understand. No timewasters if you please.

Reply to
Graham.

Well of all the jobs I've done in my time I've never had the opertunity to tackle leaded windows glass. On saying that I don't have the desire to p*ss about with repairing leaded windows glass.

Reply to
George

Well I did for the full definition but as a bit of a crossworder, I remembered a link between "came" and glazing although I couldn't remember the precise definition.

Admittedly a word not in terribly common parlance. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

More economy of effort on my part. It would be like saying "wet water", is came mde in any other material?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well, the okkard ones who wanted to take a rise out of me might have assumed that I had misspelled kamP or kaLe or .,.. well you get the picture I'm sure. There's always one - and it's often me :-)

To those who I puzzled I apologise. I've been brought up with the word, god daughter of a proper plumber and glazier who let me do things in his workshop from about six years old. But I didn't know what pargetting was for many years - we all have different experiences.

As for Scrabble, you'd have to be using the appropriate authority ... I always win anyway so nobody in the family will play with me :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Zinc, brass, copper, pewter...

Don't worry about confusion - "lead" is capable of providing its own misreading. :-) "Lead came" sounds like something to do with going for a walk with a dog - and the lead came too.

Reply to
Rod