Wickes Woodchip cover?

I see Wickes are selling a blown-vinyl type wall covering, "...to be used over woodchip and rough walls". It think it's #168-429, if anyone wants to take a look. I have a sample, it has a plaster type finish with a paper lining.

Has anyone any experience of using this?, does it slide over the rough surface OK?. And what is the benefit of this compared to, say, a heavy blown vinyl?. Not for me, but a relative was interested.

And I had to laugh, they were selling it next to the woodchip paper in the store!.

Thanks - DIYSOS

Reply to
DIYSOS

OK well anyway if we get to try this out will report back.

DIYSOS

Reply to
DIYSOS

I've never had to do anything with a woodchip covered wall but I will be at some point in the future as all the walls downstairs are covered in the stuff.

What's the basic problem with getting it off the wall?

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

It's a tedious job, the woodchip is always overpainted and impervious to water and steam. When you perforate it and scrape it off the chips remain stuck to the wall.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And therefore I assume the plaster behind ends up in a real mess so that it really needs skimming again if you want to just paint the walls?

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

By the time you have scraped off all the chips it probably will need a reskim, yes.

Reply to
Steve Firth