Wickes towel rail

Trying to affix a Wickes "Missouri" towel rail to the bathroom wall. I've done what I thought was going to be the hard part - drilling through the tiles, and attaching the base plates, but now I'm failing miserably to attach the "cup" with the grubscrews to those base plates. The instructions say "...Attach the base plate(s) to the wall with the screws provided. Place the product directly over the base and push flush against the wall or door. Ensure the product is straight and tighten the grub screws." I just can't see how that works. If I screw the baseplate firmly to the wall, the grubs can't get between baseplate and wall, hence can't grip. If the baseplates are a couple of mm away from the wall, the whole assembly just flops about. Am I doing something fundamentally wrong?
Peter Green

The base plates have lips/flanges around them, then when the fitting over the plate,grub screw gos in parallel to the wall,securing against the lip. There may be a recess on the lip for the grub screw.

My towel rail (and other bathroom fittings) is similar with flanged base plates thus:
I wonder if you've fitted the base plates the wrong way round, with the flange against the wall. With the flange away from the wall the grub screw can grip the back of the flange without fouling the wall.
Cheers Clive
Thanks for all the replies. I had indeed affixed the base plate the wrong way round. Now, if there'd been a diagram in the Wickes instructions...
Peter