Wickes timber

Sorry if someone else has already pointed this out but if they have, I haven't spotted it.

My local Wickes has piles of half-price timber around the place. When I asked the blokey, he said they are changing the range (which seems a bit odd) but presumably that means all their branches are flogging stuff off.

I went to buy some gravel boards to lash up some low raised beds in the garden and came away with treated redwood at a much lower price (£3.30 for each 2.4m length of 144 x 20.5).

Worth investigating if you need anything as there seemed to be quite a mix of types and sizes but I would recommend taking a saw as many pieces are 3.6m long, so wouldn't fit in a car.

Reply to
GMM

In message , GMM writes

I got the impression that some sizes where going end of line. Eg, I bought some 3.6m lengths of sawn 4x2 for £4 each last week. There will still 3m, 1.8m etc. lengths in the racks

No, but it fits on the roofbars :-)

Reply to
Chris French

Don't you have a rain roof?

Reply to
Capitol

Past its sell-by date?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Modern cars with air con don't tend to have sun roofs

Reply to
Chris French

My last three cars have had both, the current one admittedly because I specced it that way ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Or in the back of the van.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

If I only had one vehicle it would be a transit van. Cars are just stupid unless you're a girlie.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes, yes, I know that some do, or can have them as an option, that's why I said 'tend to'.

Reply to
Chris French

What have those two to do with each other?

-- =

When a man steals your wife, there is no better revenge than to let him = keep her.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Fits in my car,through a ole in the back seat.

Reply to
F Murtz

Last time I looked at Wicks timber, by the time you'd sawed the bent bits off, it would easily fit the car...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Last time I bought some from Wickes, a long time ago, I had a good pile of kindling for the fire. Their timber has always been at the lower end of the quality list. Good for basic jobs, but not where accuracy and a good finish is required. That's what decent timber merchants are for.

Reply to
Bill

I usually take about twice the quantity I need out of the racks, lay it on the floor to check for straightness, and chuck the banana wood back into the rack.

Reply to
Andy Burns

... damage, knots, mislabelling, ...

Reply to
Huge

only twice?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

My local timber merchant does an excellent budget range of PSE whitewood, but it's not kept in a heated building. In general the sheds simply don't have the facilities to store timber properly. Too warm, too dry

Reply to
stuart noble

Last time I looked, that was all that was left. The rejects.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

it too often is. Time before last they put out a new batch for us as we were getting quite a lot, and got lots of great quality stuff. So someone's getting good wood.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Chris French wrote on 07/03/2015 :

My current one and its predecessor have/had both. I like both.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield