Wickes refit

Local Wickes has had a complete refit and opened today.

Nice & clean & bright, seems to have more space, some new products.

They now have a 'Pay & Collect' section which is a bit like a Toolstation/Screwfix/Tradepoint. You fill in a form & they go get it.

All the plumbing & electrical stuff, door furniture, hardware etc. But not hand tools, silicone, grab adhesive, screws, plugs. It's just going to make things more complicated.

Alas the prices are still the same e.g. most stuff is 50% more than Toolstation.

Very disappointing. Hoped that it would be like the Toolstations inside Wickes stores, but it isn't.

Haven't bought much from Wickes lately, local timber merchants are better quality at lower prices, consumables from Toolstation at much lower prices.

Will this refit encourage me to use Wickes more often? No, it won't. Utter waste of time & money.

They would have been much better off opening a Toolstation inside.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There's a Netto store in our local Sainsbury's. Heaton Park, Manchester.

Well its a separate entrance, but they still share the same building.

Aparantly its one of a handful of sites like that.

I'm not sure about the economics of such a plan, but it must benifit someone.

Reply to
Graham.

The expensive stuff? Obviously got a problem with shoplifters.

I suppose it means they can hold more stock in a smaller area too.

Reply to
harryagain

True, but much less convenient for customers.

No clear idea of what's on the shelf & what's at the counter.

They offer to price match, which means I'll have to wander around with a shopping lit in one hand and a Toolstation catalogue in the other.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman