Wickes laminate flooring

Anyone got any experience of Wickes laminate flooring? Specifically, the 'Oak effect' product:

The Medway Handyman

En el artículo , The Medway Handyman escribió:

Surely it all comes out of the same factory?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

It does - doesn't mean it's all the same though.

In my experience, B&Q stuff (higher end anyway) is excellent, Wickes higher end stuff is ok, B&Q cheap stuff is next, then the wickes cheap stuff. As Dave says, avoid the Homebase stuff - it's crap.

Some of the non shed stuff is pretty good - and pretty expensive as well.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Forget it and use Pergo - as laminate goes, I can personally attest that that is OK.

Does your budget allow for considering engineered wood instead (eg Kahrs) - lays in exactly the same way, no more work and will last many times longer.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I was looking at Wickes' stuff for a neighbour. The tile effect seems to be the most durable and resistant to water. It is, however, quite thick.

Reply to
PeterC

It is thicker, yeah. This is a good thing.

The thin stuff is a pain IME.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

I used some of this a few months ago to tart up a couple of rooms in my last house. Once down it looked fine and seemed pretty robust but I had a problem fitting it: It seemed that some packs were cut out of square at the ends. A run from the same pack would be fine but mixing the two types (it seemed there were only two) meant there was a small deflection in the run. I found this when one row kept popping out of the joints. Once I identified the problem, it wasn't too much of a problem to deal with, but that would depend on the size of the room etc. Given the price/quality I would probably buy it again for a similar project but make sure I had plenty spare to ensure I could solve this problem.

Reply to
GMM

En el artículo , D.M.Chapman escribió:

Glad you said that, I've just laid an 8m x 6m room with the B&Q oak- effect stuff.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Thanks for all the advice: appreciated!

We ended up with Kronofix Royal Oak.