Wickes Kitchens - Beware of their Dodgy software - it will cost you!!!!

Page 2 of 3
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 11:44:53 -0000, PJO wrote:

But presumably, you could have the design done, then not buy the items.

I had the opposite problem - having produced the plan myself using a 2D drawing package (spent months on it) - I got one of their designers to draw out the plan using their software. My only special request was that I needed 8m of work surface, but 2m of those I was getting 2x1m stainless steel surface made up elsewhere......but their software insisted that I needed 8m and so automatically ordered me 3x3m work surfaces !!!! I noticed it as soon as the order was printed (I did check it a fine tooth comb though)....they said order it as it would be good to have a spare (since i was fitting it, and just in case i made a mistake !!!) but I refused that.....
they then said when its delivered i should phone them and they will collect the work surface and then refund me...I also refused this option. The final solution was to re-enter the order manually.
I have to say that despite the trouble ordering that I am very impressed by the quality of the units. I have just got some their fitted bedroom furniture for some more fun over the xmas vacation.
Gin
So I assume you have cancelled your order and insisted that they refund you in total. You also have a claim on them for negligence, inconvenience, etc. They are in breach of contract too.
Sounds to me like you're a soft touch and will simply allow them to deliver what they will and walk all over you.
Is you new kitchen that important to have before Christmas??!!

fully
each
job.
wall
needs
[kitchen woes]
Food for BBC Watchdog program perhaps?

With respect. Do you really think BBC are interested in little cases like this and even if they are how many do you reckon they have to choose from?!

I don't think often about the BBC at all actually but I guess it depends how many little cases like this there are doesn't it? These things are quite expensive "mistakes" I believe. and there have been a few similar complaints in this thread already. If no-one writes in they won't have *any* to choose from. I'm not a big fan of WD or anything - it was just a thought.

like
from?!
I wouldn't be surprised if Watchdog did a report on Cinderella, claiming damages for losing an ill fitting shoe, the programme seems to be rapidly degenerating into a pantomime.
--
Gavin Gillespie
Giltbrook

Indeed, on the one I watched, they dragged out 3 pitiful complaints about MFI for about 10 minutes, of which the only one of any substance was a kitchen cabinet falling off the wall (which could have caused injury if you'd been under it)
And we're paying for this 'quality TV' ????
Cheers,
Paul.

Well i imagine they do a tote, if there are enough complaints about a particular company then they would look into doing one of their expose.
However i would only use anyones design service as a starting point, when i did my kitchen i got 3 differnet free designs. Then started from scratch, incorporating good ideas from each of them.
Went with ikea, which is very reasonably priced, then i had to run the ikea checkout challenge half-dozen times, the best (read longest) time was around about 1.5h in the queue and having a gimp bring out the wrong worktop 4 times.
What made this marathon wait worth while was when he brought out some rancid looking brown worktop, when he knew it was matching up with two black/white marbled tops, he asked whether i thought i would notice the difference in the kitchen, heh heh.
When we bought a kitchen from Wickes I worked out absolutely everything we needed before going to the store. This even included lengths of plinth, cornice and pelmet. I then made sure the material list from the Wickes salesman matched my list before signing. In fact the only difference was that their software decided I needed more cornice and pelmet than I actually did.
My material list from Wickes definitely showed the length of the worktops. I am surprised yours didn't. Mine stated:
321007 Worktop Andora Gloss 38mm x 600mm x 3M
In my opinion if you signed the material list and this is what was delivered then you don't really have any comeback.
On paper you've got what you asked for.
Bill

fully
each
job.
wall
needs
I have a printed order whichy DOES NOT give the lengths of each worktop on the list and a dimensioned layout drawing that DOES show all worktops, I thus could not possibly have checked it in the shop before signing.

at
pay

So you have a dimentional layout with all the dimentions of the various lengths of worktops, but the total length exceeds what thay have orderd for you?
Just want to be clear on what you have, and what you don't here!
Sparks...

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, you could have checked it - it would have involved asking one of the staff what length the worktops are. When I ordered my kitchen earlier in the year I made sure that I had the full details of every item I was ordering.
If you haven't recieved the goods yet, why don't you either: (a) ring up and add the missing worktop to the list, or (b) cancel the order.
Al

If this same software package has produced drawings and materials list which are obviously conflicting - is that what you're saying? - then surely to goodness you must have a very strong case against Wickes. Even if, as others have suggested, you were asked to approve the list, IMHO it would be perfectly reasonable to assume the software has done the job right. If you have black-and-white, hard copy evidence in your hands that they have used buggy software to produce the incorrect list, then I should take it to your local Trading Standards Officer and see what s(he) has to say about it.
David
The most likely (and sensible) solution under the circumstances is for you to pay for the extra material - as you would have had to pay for this if they had got the order right - but for Wickes to deliver it free of charge as this material would have been delivered along with th remainder of the kitchen of their software had done its job correctly.
If you push the right buttons, I can't see Wickes refusing to meet you halfway in this manner.
Also...although IANAL, I believe that a small claims court would see it this way as well.
RM
--
unlocking Nokia and SonyEricsson phones in the Edinburgh area
email: reestit_mutton AT lauriem DOT plus DOT com

PGOTU and the FBGDB said this is not the case. MMKPR too.
PJO wrote:

Nope....I'm not going to rise to this....I'll leave it to someone else.
RM
--
unlocking Nokia and SonyEricsson phones in the Edinburgh area
email: reestit_mutton AT lauriem DOT plus DOT com
I have not taken delivery yet - Not for another week!!

Sure that should be (s)he, but never mind! :-)

We had an excellent service from their Stockton store,very good. So good that they even sent us extra units and a solid beech worktop worth 300!! The only problem we had was that the manufacturer supplied frosted glass doors instead of the clear ones that were on display and that we wanted. The salesman sorted this out for us even when the manufacturer said they could not supply. In the end we got clear doors but Wickes offered to take the doors and have them reglazed for us at their cost.
Andy