Wickes Chateau doors

To add to the sawing theme, I am getting 6x 30 inch doors. I want to cut them down by 1/4 of an inch across.What's the best way to do this and do the edges fray badly?

I have a belt sander, circular saw etc. I had considered cramping them all together and just hand sawing them as a block, but that leaves the bottom edge to get frayed.

Reply to
EricP

"EricP" wrote | To add to the sawing theme, I am getting 6x 30 inch doors. I want | to cut them down by 1/4 of an inch across.What's the best way to | do this and do the edges fray badly? | I have a belt sander, circular saw etc. I had considered cramping | them all together and just hand sawing them as a block, but that | leaves the bottom edge to get frayed.

For a quarter-inch I would be inclined to just plane them down. Clamp a bit of sacrificial wood to the ends where the plane over rungs to help prevent fraying.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Cheers :))

And thanks to all for the ideas. :)))

Reply to
EricP

That seems to be a standard name for two panel doors with a wavy top to the upper panel. No idea why, but I expect there is a chateau somewhere with doors to that design.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

Oh, thanks Colin.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I guess it depends whether youve got the technique right - those things work excellantly with the right handling, but it seems many never succeed with them. Trick is to put all the weight on the front end when going on to the wood, and all the weight on the back when coming off, and to take the time to ensure you get it absolutely level with the wood before going on.

If the op hasnt used an electric before, best not to :) As you say, its too easy to take lumps out.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Ohhhhhh YES indeedie. :(((