why only 99.9% of germs dead?

IRL you wont get a continuous film of product, and germ kill rates will be far lower.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

The approvals standard with which bleaches and such things have to comply requires that 99% of the sample population of bugs be dead after certain time at a certain concentration.

Of course, in most cases this is exceeded, but the rules state 99% minimum, and that's what they're rated at.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Understood Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave

IIRC Aqua Regia is just a combination of acids which dissolves the noble metals such as gold and silver. Wikipedia says Nitric and Hydrochloric. which sounds right. Mind you, Wikipedia says 'fuming' and "concentrated" so that could be a bit dodgy to be near. Oh, and it rapidly decomposes and loses its effectiveness. So probably not good on a work top.

Did I mention the guy who invented a universal solvent then couldn't find anything to keep it in?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

In article , harry wrote: [snip sensible comments]

The main reason MRSA is a modern hospital problem is because anti-biotics have killed off other bugs that would normally keep MRSA under control

. . .and many of them are responsible for keeping you healthy without having to buy them in yoghurt drinks

Reply to
JTM

Past? We're still feeding antibiotics to farm animals on a regular basis

- i.e. not as part of a treatment for a current ailment.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Continual feeding is one thing, not taking a complete course to totally wipe out an infection is another

Reply to
geoff

Garbage.

Reply to
Huge

Ah - that may actually be rather misleading.

Wish I could remember where I saw some research that showed that a 7-day course of antibiotics is "traditional" because it's a week, but that in many cases 3 or 4 days is plenty even allowing for making sure that survivors don't develop resistance.

Long-term feeding probably has a better chance to develop "superbugs" than human periodic useage.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Not when there's a dish of them on the table and you just pop one when you feel unwell - seen it many times in Asia

Reply to
geoff

In article , snipped-for-privacy@uk-diy.org says... [antibiotics]

Now that's jsut plain wrong.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Lived there, have you?

Reply to
geoff

I read that as Asda.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Nope.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Sorry, just re-read that. I mean wrong as in "They shouldn't be doing that", not "You're mistaken, no such thing happens."

Reply to
Skipweasel

Yes, well, it's a bit like having a tub of sweeties in the middle of the table,

as you say, totally wrong, but there's nothing better to build up yer average bacterium's resistance

Reply to
geoff

That doesn't mean that it kills all germs. It's not even a particularly effective biocide. It is, however, yet another product trading on ignorance and fear.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The reasons for stating the last is because it's more or less an accurate portrayal of any eukaryote. The more one studies eukaryotic cells the more they look like a bunch of bacteria that have struck a truce and agreed to work together.

Reply to
Steve Firth