Why Is This?

My brother has his own business and is moving to a new 'unit'. We have been doing some work there today and I came across something I would like clarification on. The unit is a fairly new build (

Reply to
John

Sorry should have said the hot water is provided by an instantaneous electric heater over the sink, so there is no immersion etc. hiding somewhere.

Cheers

Reply to
John

I'm not a plumber, but I imagine it was done that way to allow for more things to be fed,. ie a boiler which is now not in place. the only problem I can see happening is that with the water level dropping so little when the bog is flushed, the ball valve is going to move hardly at all, and is going to seize up in the up position. next time you're up there, push it all the way down, make sure it's free enough.

Steve.

Reply to
shazzbat

| My brother has his own business and is moving to a new 'unit'. We have= been=20 | doing some work there today and I came across something I would like=20 | clarification on. The unit is a fairly new build (

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

[...]

[...]

I have no direct knowledge of H&S legislation but having been in a couple of buildings when the water supply was cut, all I can say is that the building with no stored water was closed to all except essential personnell fairly promptly, while the one with stored water stayed open. Can you imagine trying to claim compensation from the water company for a lost day's worth of production all because you had to send your workers home because there was no working toilet?

So I'd suspect that your assumption is essentially correct.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Correct, but the OP's sink is not connected to the storage tank, so the parallel requirement for warm water for handwashing would not be met.

I think the requirements can be complied with in some circumstances (working away from fixed facilities, etc) with chemical loos and bottled handwashing solution.

That may be different requirements under Offices Shops and Railway Premises Act vs Health & Safety At Work Act.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

But aren't we now moving towards mains pressure WCs in new build houses etc.? At least, that's what a friend recently emailed to me.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Houses are different to factories and other places of work. There is some kind of issue there regarding the Health and Safety at Work Act.

All cold water in our house (1930s but refurbished 2 years ago) comes directly from the mains, toilets included, except that for the pumped shower which comes from a huge storage tank in the loft.

Mum & dad's 1960s house is exactly the same, and the only plumbing they've ever had done was a pumped shower some 20 years ago.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove