WHY is it so hard to find a Cori Engineer!!!

I live in Birmingham & need to find a DECENT heating engineer to fit

System Boiler & unvented cylinder.

I have been on the corgi website & rang about 8, 2 have turned up wh seem to be iffy.

Then i tried yellow pages, I rang 5 and 3 turned up quoting sill money.

Are these tradesmen taking the mickey or is it me?!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- handypandy

Reply to
handypandy

"handypandy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.homeimprovementbanter.com...

Given recent events there must be a joke there somewhere...............

Reply to
Scabbydug

It's all about supply and demand. When the media talk about a shortage of 'plumbers' they really mean a shortage of heating engineers and gas or oil fitters.

The ones that are most likely to turn up are also likely to be the ones which have a 'predatory' business model.

There is such a thing as the customer from hell. Almost as a matter of principle I don't work for new customers unless they are recommended to me by another good customer! I do however try to respond to all enquiries even if it's to let people know that there is no way I can help.

How are you determining whether the prospective heating installers are "decent".

I would expect that the work would cost around £1500-£2500 if you think that's silly money. Why don't you give up the day job?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

That price has to be for supply & fit

What about fitting a previously sourced boiler & cylinder?

Reply to
Mj

Ha If you cant work out what the problem is with that idea you would do well in politics.

-
Reply to
Mark

Depends what you call silly money. In my experience people want to buy the skills of anyone carting a toolbag for as cheap as possible. If that person is toting a briefcase and a sharp suite instead,then they dont even question the cost becuase they expect to have to pay so called professionals whereas its assumed that toolbags should not be considered professional and therefore should work for as little as possible.

Beleive it or not, tradesmen know instinctively who they want to work for and who they want to swerve. I have been in the plumbing/heating/gas trade for over 25 years and i can assess a cusmter within seconds of them opening the door. I have experienced a million and one scenarios and different types of customer,house,etc and I know how the scenario will play out and what the customer will be like. Its instinctive. It follows that i know the ones who need carefull handling.

Its true,it is hard to get good tradesmen. Been there,done that. The trouble is,all the good ones are booked up onths in advance. If you get one straight away,there is probably a good reason.

Reply to
Psst

I know some that haven't worked for 6 weeks and they are in yellow pages. The building trade has been very slack. The wet weather has meant the brickies can't build the houses fast enough and there is a knock-on effect.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Not in my book. That's for the fitting. I wouldn't fit kit costing less than another £1500 for that job.

Why should that be a problem provided the equipment is good enough to put you efforts onto.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Yellow Pages for which area? Would love to know.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Norf Lahdan, Herts, Bucks