why don't Screwfix sell 4mm t&e ?

I need 4mm t&e to wire up an oven and am surprised that Screwfix sell

2.5mm & 6mm but not 4. Is it better to use 6mm? (Oven is 5.5KW.)
Reply to
Si

Depending on distance and other factors, you may be able to use 2.5mm^2.

4mm^2 is not that popular partly because the earth wire (CPC) is no bigger than in 2.5mm^2 at 1.5mm^2. Hence you often find situations were current carrying capacity and voltage drop are fine, but you can't meet the required disconnect times, or the earth is undersized in fault conditions.
Reply to
John Rumm

What did the customer service department say when you asked them? Only Screwfix can give the answer as to why they do not stock a product.

Reply to
vince

Yes. If a dedicated cooker circuit is needed best to future proof it by going for the maximum likely current requirement - after all the materials are still a small part of the job despite the rise in copper prices. Of course this means 10mm for a possible 45 amps - but 6mm is the usual compromise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , vince writes

Thanks to John & Dave for their informative answers.

Vince, I asked the question because I reckoned if Screwfix didn't stock

4mm there'd probably be a reason. In fact, buying 25m of 6mm from Screwfix was cheaper than buying 15m of 4mm from a local shop.
Reply to
Si