Why don't new home owners receive a User Manual from the builder?

Right, so you bought it from the "manufacturer", aka "builder". As I already said, your t's and c's for buying it should have included being given such a manual.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Crikey. I didn't actually have the heating on at all this morning. The weather is milder, and the free underfloor heating is working again now the downstairs neighbours are back.

I thought it was The Honourable Kirstie Allsopp who went in for knocking through; if you have a family kitchen-diner with access to the garden you've been Beanied.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The new integrated system expensive boilers I've seen installed as efficient replacements for older almost clockwork controlled systems by way of a council grant, feature fidgety digital timers and many funny symbols next to knobs and buttons instead of plain english.

I've got some friends that resort to mastering the on/off switch as well ;-(

Reply to
Adrian C

Oh yes, very definitely Beanied:

jgharston

The manufacturer will have details of who bought those boilers and would hopefully inform them. If it was a serious fault - life threatening - it would get a general mention in the same way as certain car safety re-calls.

Oh - every boiler I've seen comes with installation and service instructions as well as registration for perhaps an extended warrenty. If they weren't supplied with your brand new house, demand them. These can also often be found online, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah - the glories of a race-track in your own home, if you have kids of that age. They chase each other around endlessly.

Reply to
Skipweasel

I think that house building is a shoddy - ill-disciplined trade.

More use should be made of factory made modules. We are stuck with the concept of building a house from hand liftable components.

On TV we have seen cases where brickies have even left out the cavity ties.

Fortunately my house had lines marked on the upstairs floors to show pipe and cable runs - presumably for the guy who then came to install the partition walls. Handy though and I have painted the markings to ensure they last and have colour coded them.

Reply to
John

Soft northerners, eh ?

Reply to
geoff

In message , Tim Streater writes

He's an eejit

Reply to
geoff

Calm down - you're talking bollocks

Reply to
geoff

With clear instructions that they should be left with the boiler

Reply to
geoff

plumbing runs would be self-evident, all wiring runs in regulation locations.

When I sold up in the UK the new owner got the installation and user manuals for the boiler, heating controls, white goods (included in the sale), FENSA window guarantee and various other odds and ends. As far as instructions go, it's much less of an issue now with virtually all of them being available on the web.

My high-rise flat here came with a user manual about an inch thick, though most of it is reproductions of the mfrs user manuals for the various fitted appliances. Nothing as to where services run, though on a new high-rise you'd be unlikely to be altering things.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

With the proviso *in Britain". It's not like that in Germany, where the build quality is far superior.

MM

Reply to
MM

You probably have to be a member of a screwdrivers turners guild to wield one in Aus anyway! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I was crawling round with my ear to the floor trying to find whether/ where a failed central heating pump was under the floor.

I was later reminded of its position when the trapdoor gave way.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Aye, the first six feet of snow and they start complaining the one bus a week gets cancelled.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

the one bus

geoff

I'll have you know it's two buses a day! ;)

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Yebbut on which day?