why do hacksaws cut on the pull? (2023 Update)

AIUI the convention with a hacksaw is to put the blade in so it cuts as you pull the saw upwards. This is the opposite to, say, a tenon saw where the cut is done on the down stroke.

I've often wondered: is there a special reason for this difference?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Sorry to disagree, the terms are forward and backstroke and the blade shoul d be inserted to cut on the forward stroke. Some people put the blade of a junior hacksaw in reverse, especially the cheap bent metal bar type as it k eeps it in tension better. Your reference to upstroke and downstrokes makes me think you are confusing hacksaws with piercing saws and fret saws, both of these have the blades reversed when used in conjunction with a "jewelle rs vice" which is normally a piece of wood attached to and overhanging a be nch edge with a Vee cut into it.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

uld be inserted to cut on the forward stroke. Some people put the blade of a junior hacksaw in reverse, especially the cheap bent metal bar type as it keeps it in tension better. Your reference to upstroke and downstrokes mak es me think you are confusing hacksaws with piercing saws and fret saws, bo th of these have the blades reversed when used in conjunction with a "jewel lers vice" which is normally a piece of wood attached to and overhanging a bench edge with a Vee cut into it.

Aha, thank you. Somehow I had it into my head (from childhood) that the ha cksaw blade was the other way. I'll go and change it round and stop being puzzled.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Most saws cut on the push stroke because that way its easier to generate power and align the saw on the correct path as you're looking in that direction.

Japanese wood saws on the other hand all cut on the back stroke, the only advantage being that the blades can be made much thinner and so cut a narrower kerf. There was a vogue for Japanese hand tools a while back. They cost three or four times the cost of their western equivalents although whether this was just a coincidence or not, is not for me to say.

Although hacksaw and bowsaw blades are relatively thin because they're held in tension in frames, they don't buckle when pushed as they otherwise would do.

michael adams

michael adams

Generally they are usually set to cut on the push, but some people prefer them with the blade reversed. The pad saw type (with a length of unsupported blade poking out the end), may benefit from having the blade cutting on the pull since it makes it less likely you will bend the end.

Reply to
John Rumm

uld be inserted to cut on the forward stroke. Some people put the blade of a junior hacksaw in reverse, especially the cheap bent metal bar type as it keeps it in tension better. Your reference to upstroke and downstrokes makes me think you are confusing hacksaws with piercing saws and fret saws, both of these have the blades reversed when used in conjunction with a "jewellers vice" which is normally a piece of wood attached to and overhanging a bench edge with a Vee cut into it.

saw blade was the other way. I'll go and change it round and stop being puzzled.

Odd how some things stick in your memory. When I was 12, 13, 14, 15 I used to help my dad fix TV aerials. One day while he was in the shop collecting the aerials I decided to replace the blade in the junior hacksaw in my pocket. I did it the wrong way round but wasn't sure, and when dad re-appeared he put me right.

Why do I remember that 50 years later?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Some blades have symmetrical teeth so they cut, inefficiently, on both push and pull.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

the advantage of a thin kerf is much less total energy used to do the job.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Has any one seen progressive hacksaw blades?they start off with fine teeth then get coarser toward the back, they are still available but rare and fairly expensive ?

Reply to
F Murtz

On 20/05/2015 13:42, Bill Wright wrote: ...

Memory reinforced by the traditional clip around the ear?

Reply to
Nightjar

This not what I was taught!

Reply to
TomSawer

Yes, you have put the blade in backwards.

Reply to
dennis

Cutting thin tube might be best on the back stroke.

AFAIK workshop reciprocating saws are set up this way. Well, mine is:-) The mechanism reduces the blade pressure on the out stroke with a fancy flutter valve immersed in oil gismo.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Don't most workshop saws have a quick return stroke so you want to cut on the slow stroke which is usually to the fixed vice jaw at the rear.

Reply to
dennis

I've used it both ways around, depending on the job, so I'd argue that cutting on the pull is standard, cos there aint no standard. the place needing to be cut and the ergonomics of the situation dictate what you do quite often. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Mine is a simple crank drive. The front jaw is the fixed one. Likely to be even older than the user:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No idea. I always used a horizontal band saw.

Reply to
Nightjar

When I was about 8 or 9 my dad bought me a junior hacksaw from Mr Saul's hardware shop across the road. A very memorable occasion. Almost a rite of passage. I had a very sheltered upbringing.

Reply to
Graham.

In message , Graham. writes

Me too! Although I don't remember the source.

We were holidaying in Felixtowe and I was desperate to get home and try out my saw:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Tension. When cutting on the pull the blade is always pulling against the stable handle, not the tension end of the saw which is flexible, and so the blade is always rigid.

Reply to
Todd Gack