Why do 'Cordless' Electric kettles keep breaking down?

Actually it's squirrels in the plantpots at the moment. Wish they'd eff off. :-)

Well, a while ago I posted about a problem my mother was having with filter flies! And they got into her kettle - so she always draped a teatowel over it. Not very satisfactory.

The little slider across the kettle spout seems also to reduce the amount of steam/clouds of condensed steam that appear above the spout (as against our previous 'open' kettle). A plus for that reason even if you don't have any flying creatures, breadcrumbs, bits of tea leaf or anything else to keep out of your kettles!

Reply to
Rod

You mean these things

? Yeeuuukkk!!! Are they drawn toward the hot kettle?

Reply to
BigWallop

I do mean those things.

She started to get them everywhere - mainly bathroom and kitchen. Pest control and plumber had no idea. I went, rodded drain, found much rubble/gravel. Seems someone had seen fit to tip rubbish down the vent pipe many years ago and eventually it had broken/filled. Hence flies. Fixed by insurance.

They were not obviously drawn to hot water, simply anything moist in the area.

Horrible for her.

Reply to
Rod

Good web site. This is what it does when I looked to see what it says about cluster flies (which we have);

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time.

/pests/bannerrotator.asp, line 21

Reply to
Huge

Worked fine for me just now. Maybe it's been fixed?

Reply to
Rod

Burco 2-litre catering kettle. (Only bought it earlier this year, a refurb. off Ebay, but it feels like "right," like a proper kettle. I never got the hang of picking up the jug type.)

Reply to
Martin Crossley

The message

from mike contains these words:

You may purchase a Dualit for various reasons, but I'm not convinced that overall cost per year is the best argument. I've had one for decades -- but could buy a couple of toasters for the cost of a single Dualit element. However, the fact that the elements are now mica-covered, that the toaster works beautifully, that there is pleasure in using it and that it's reliable and almost idiot-proof make it worthwhile for me.

Reply to
Appin

Hear hear. Bereft of 'clever' bits such as automatic pop-up, it's a totally reliable machine, and easy to use. I've only had my 2-slice steel 'polished' Vario for a year or so, and I find it a good solid piece of engineering. Every other toaster I've had has given trouble with either the pop-up mechanism or hot spots causing element failure.

AND the crumb tray works, collecting all the detritus rather than leaving it to clog up the machine :-)

My only whinge is Dualit's customer service - when I enquired about finishes (I really wanted brushed stainless steel to match with other kitchen accessories) they didn't seem all that helpful. As it happens their polished finish is about right and doesn't look too bad... :-))

Reply to
Frank Erskine