Why are fan assisted storage heaters so expensive?

I was thinking of getting one or two storage heaters but looking at the prices of the fan assisted ones I think the pay back time would be many years, if ever.

Why are they so outrageously expensive?

Reply to
tinnews

Because people buy them at the price you saw.

Reply to
DrTeeth

Maybe to persuade people to install proper heating systems? ;)

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

They are more highly insulated, have airways inside, have a fan and additional wiring.

Also to do with this.

harry

Goodness only knows. Even the normal ones are expensive when you consider what they contain.

brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Where the alternative fuels are LPG (i.e. gas in a big tank) or oil then economy 7 electricity isn't such a bad deal.

Reply to
tinnews

They are pretty heavy to move around. Just looking at one that's 144 KGs. You can't just stick that in the back of a van and have one man deliver it. That must all add to the cost.

Reply to
GB

Perhaps not much in it in monetary terms but in convience and automatic heat when you want it terms E7 and storeage heaters are not that good.

A well insulated fan assisted storeage heater might be better than the poorly insulated convection units of old. But decent insulation adds to the size and people don't like big things these days...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They come apart into manageble lumps, you don't have a single 144kg lump to man handle.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The only time I was involved, the bricks were taken out for transport. But in that case, why does the TLC website flag them up as a heavy load item?

Reply to
GB

Even in bits, it's stil obviously a heavy load, unlees you are going to make multiple journeys.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It's necessary to take out the bricks, for two reasons: handling it at all and, perhaps more importantly, the heater itself isn't strong enough to withstand the mass. My neighbour gave me a 1.7kW storage heater but, unfortunately, the metalwork was bent and the feet folded under - wasn't realistically repairable.

Reply to
PeterC

I've one that is, at a guess, 35 - 40 yo. It just lost its useful heat by mid- to late afternoon. Pinching some insulation from the loft and putting it inside the front of the heater gave me heat to late evening. After about

15 years of use it's still working.
Reply to
PeterC