Why are 3-piece suites so expensive?

Page 2 of 2

Andy Dingley wrote:

Nice reference

Yes, I was looking at leather to recover my Range Rover seats, so there would have been more and smaller bits involved. For a sofa this is less true.
Nick
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 20:54:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@excite.com (Frank Z) wrote:

I think the basic answer to your question is because many people see them as a "traditional" or "must have" item. Plus of course greedy retailers. (Notice how much gets slashed off the price at sale time)
My parents got a suite when they married and never had another one. It lasted 37 years, of course it wasn't made with chipboard and dint have plastic covered foam. Today people change their suites at the drop of a hat and they devalue very fast. As another poster suggested, by a pre owned one from someone who bought the wrong size, changed their mind about the colour, can't keep up the payments. There are some good bargains to be had.
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 18:18:22 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

Good point. Last time I bought one we went for a 2 & a 3 seater sofa instead. Took up less space in the room, seated as many people and was far more comfortable all round. Two of us could stretch out in comfort.
Andy Dingley wrote:

I did the same. Homebase had them on special offer less than 500 the pair. Very pleased with them sofa :~) -- Steve R -- "Latest gear:- One piece one button suit extremely comfortable, perfect for Relaxation, Sports, Hiking, Swimming, a must have" OOPS sorry you have one!!!

Nothing I have found stands up to claw sharpening. get a piece of carpet and nail it to a plank of wood and train the cat to use it ( a water pistol or spray gun thingy full of water is useful for that.
My gripe though is not so much the cost of three piece suites but the bl**dy waiting time. Ive been qoted anything from 12 -16 weeks ( and I am told by others who have made purchases its often longer).
What the hell has happened in this free market economy that you cant buy and take it home?
I recall back when my parents bought a sofa ( mid sixteies - and yes olks they are still sitting on it!) they went in the showroom. said "I'll have one of those" ( and it came in a choice of colours) and it was delivered two days later.
In the 1980's when I bought my leather three piece in the sitting , I waited eight weeks ( but only because it was leather).
A couple of months ago I went to try and buy a couple of sofa's and was told 12 weeks minimum. I rang a catalogue company and was told the same. I went to homebase who told me a fortnight but I ended up waiting a month.
btw, its also true of other things - any furniture that isnt flat packed it seems.

An 12-bore might be more effective ;-)

You can - in some shops, anyway. I don't think I'd buy If I couldn't get it delivered directly from the shop within a few days. It doesn't surprise me what you said about them typically taking longer than they'd have you believe...
Frank

Can still do that in a large store round here. OK, they don't do seriously downmarket stuff, but their place is three floors and quite large in area. Everytjing there is available for immediate delivery.
(family firm, not surprisingly)
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
In post: snipped-for-privacy@news.cis.dfn.de,

Our 595 leather 3 seater with free 2 seater arrives from Argos any minute now. Apparantly they will come and collect it within 16 days if we don't like it.
Never thought of making one though.
Cheers Tim
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 10:02:01 +0100, "Tim Sampson"

That sounds like a good deal. Let us know if you are happy with the item will you? I'd be very hesitant to buy a suite from a catalog, because when browsing in suite shops, I've noticed that only about one in ten designs feels truly comfortable to me, in a way that I would be happy with long-term. But if Argos lets you send it back if not happy, it might just be worth giving them a try.
Incidentally, I wonder how many times furniture companies deliver a suite only to find they can't manoever it into the room for which it was intended..... What usually happens in that situation I wonder...
Frank
Frank Z wrote:

Hi Frank
We are very happy with the suite - it is in the Figaro range and currently features on the back page of Argos Additions. The sofas are pretty firm and not very deep (ie you can put your bum at the back and your feet on the floor). The arms are low and make excellent pillows for horizontal use :o). We like all these features but many people don't.
Cheers Tim

and
:o).
I would be. Whenever I sit on someone's sofa or chair I can't get out of it easily, the seats are far too deep. They look luxurious on the promo pictures but aren't made for comfort while sitting.
Mary

"Tim Sampson" wrote | Our 595 leather 3 seater with free 2 seater arrives from Argos any minute | now.
Figaro in ivory / terracotta / black / green ?
| Apparantly they will come and collect it within 16 days if we don't | like it.
Furniture they will (and they will send a free fabric swatch if asked for) but not large domestic appliances.
Owain
Owain wrote:

Black, ivory, blue, chocolate.
Cheers Tim