Why are 3-piece suites so expensive?

I did the same. Homebase had them on special offer less than £500 the pair. Very pleased with them sofa :~)

-- Steve R

-- "Latest gear:- One piece one button suit extremely comfortable, perfect for Relaxation, Sports, Hiking, Swimming, a must have" OOPS sorry you have one!!!

Reply to
Essjay001

So the company I work for buys a part for a printer from the manufacturer for say £100.00 - the margin from that supplier is 100% so the customer pays £200.00, minus the overheads it's still a rip off and the customer can't buy them from anywhere else... glad they lost that business when they stopped making printers coz it's just robbery..

That's why when you goto the main dealer to buy VW parts you get a new one ripped for over the prices, manufacturer, VW Germany, importer? VW UK, main dealer etc. Soon makes a 50 pence part a fiver. ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark

It varies. I've been in one business where the markup was 6%, and another where it was 150%

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Nothing I have found stands up to claw sharpening. get a piece of carpet and nail it to a plank of wood and train the cat to use it ( a water pistol or spray gun thingy full of water is useful for that.

My gripe though is not so much the cost of three piece suites but the bl**dy waiting time. Ive been qoted anything from 12 -16 weeks ( and I am told by others who have made purchases its often longer).

What the hell has happened in this free market economy that you cant buy and take it home?

I recall back when my parents bought a sofa ( mid sixteies - and yes olks they are still sitting on it!) they went in the showroom. said "I'll have one of those" ( and it came in a choice of colours) and it was delivered two days later.

In the 1980's when I bought my leather three piece in the sitting , I waited eight weeks ( but only because it was leather).

A couple of months ago I went to try and buy a couple of sofa's and was told

12 weeks minimum. I rang a catalogue company and was told the same. I went to homebase who told me a fortnight but I ended up waiting a month.

btw, its also true of other things - any furniture that isnt flat packed it seems.

Reply to
Mich

Our £595 leather 3 seater with free 2 seater arrives from Argos any minute now. Apparantly they will come and collect it within 16 days if we don't like it.

Never thought of making one though.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Sampson

True, my point is that you are just as likely (or even more likely) to get a discount on a financed deal compared to a cash deal.

Pete

Reply to
PM

An 12-bore might be more effective ;-)

You can - in some shops, anyway. I don't think I'd buy If I couldn't get it delivered directly from the shop within a few days. It doesn't surprise me what you said about them typically taking longer than they'd have you believe...

Frank

Reply to
Frank Z

That sounds like a good deal. Let us know if you are happy with the item will you? I'd be very hesitant to buy a suite from a catalog, because when browsing in suite shops, I've noticed that only about one in ten designs feels truly comfortable to me, in a way that I would be happy with long-term. But if Argos lets you send it back if not happy, it might just be worth giving them a try.

Incidentally, I wonder how many times furniture companies deliver a suite only to find they can't manoever it into the room for which it was intended..... What usually happens in that situation I wonder...

Frank

Reply to
Frank Z

Can still do that in a large store round here. OK, they don't do seriously downmarket stuff, but their place is three floors and quite large in area. Everytjing there is available for immediate delivery.

(family firm, not surprisingly)

Reply to
Bob Eager

"Tim Sampson" wrote | Our £595 leather 3 seater with free 2 seater arrives from Argos any minute | now.

Figaro in ivory / terracotta / black / green ?

| Apparantly they will come and collect it within 16 days if we don't | like it.

Furniture they will (and they will send a free fabric swatch if asked for) but not large domestic appliances.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Hi Frank

We are very happy with the suite - it is in the Figaro range and currently features on the back page of Argos Additions. The sofas are pretty firm and not very deep (ie you can put your bum at the back and your feet on the floor). The arms are low and make excellent pillows for horizontal use :o). We like all these features but many people don't.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Sampson

I would be. Whenever I sit on someone's sofa or chair I can't get out of it easily, the seats are far too deep. They look luxurious on the promo pictures but aren't made for comfort while sitting.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Black, ivory, blue, chocolate.