Whole house FM transmitter/sender for audio

Hi,

I would like to be able to broadcast the sound from my DVD player on an FM channel in my house. As I understand it this is a popular ( & now legal) way for an iPod to play through a car stereo system.

In my case I have a DVD & TV in my bedroom and a reasonable FM stereo radio (Tivoli) by my bed. It would be good if I could play the DVD soundtrack through the tivoli rather than the inferior TV speakers.

I have seen units for sending audio and TV signals around the house but these need a device at both ends of the link. They are also around =A360 .

I figured a household version of the devices in cars would be ideal, but looking on the web/maplins/ebay I can only see one model in the US.

Do such household devices exist and are they legal in the UK ?

Reply to
jonathan.ives

You can buy an FM transmitter for about 8m range but you can't legally use it just yet.

When this happens, FM reception is going to be dire around here - or rather interesting.. ;-)

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

AIUI the IPOD things are *really* short range. (Just the odd foot or two to the car aerial)

I brought one back from the states and never used it, because I eventually got an IPOD NANO & it doesn't fit. :-(

Little FM transmitters are available and are not hard to find. They are not legal, but if the signal can't be detected outside the house -

;-)

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Not an answer to your question, but a pair of inexpensive powered computer speakers would probably boost the TV output quite nicely.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

For that within-the-same-room problem, a length of wire looks like the best answer. :-)

More generally I've found that the range and sound quality of those FM transmitters leaves a lot to be desired. The sort of distortion and noise levels that are unnoticeable in the car become intolerable in the home.

I've found that the sound quality of those 24GHz AV transmitters isn't too good either.

If you want to do the job properly, I'd recommend mains-borne rather than radio transmission, like these, although I think they're nearer £100 than £60:

Mike Barnes