Who sells chalk?

Or, as I was told (to be politically correct) Chalkboard paint

Reply to
Malcolm

Tell me you're joking.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

You can use small pieces of plasterboard, which is just gypsum, or go out and try to find purpose made 'chalk', which is also just gypsum.

Reply to
Phil L

There's chalk. You can find firkin great lumps of it lying around in the countryside in areas of, er, chalky soil.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Owain

Heh,

I've a big stack of it sat right behind me at the moment - results of taking a 7 year old fossil hunting at samphire hoe

Easy to break off a bit suitable for marking up with (if you don't mind the odd fossilised sea urchin in it :))

Darren

Reply to
dmc

So is there a new name for whiteboards as well?

Reply to
mike

No - but anything described as "flesh" colour, or "nude" (which to me, seemed pretty much the same thing), ...

Reply to
Rod

I didn't say it wasn't. It still writes on rough walls though ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

IIRC, gypsum is predominantly calcium sulphate, whereas blackboard chalk, or natural chalk, is fundamentally calcium carbonate, so not quite the same thing, although agreed, plasterboard does write on walls ok.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm sure I'll track some down now.

To all the people who said "my local post office", I've just tried my local post office and they said they've never sold chalk ;-)

Reply to
mike

Although blackboard does kind of imply a colour, whereas chalkboard doesn't.

Dry wipe board...? (or white dry wipe board!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Blackboard chalk used to be natural chalk but is now mostly compressed gypsum anyway.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Yup (in places were this sort of stuff matters) it is termed marker board.

Reply to
soup

Better report then straight to the government then as one of the ones not serving the public needs profitably. They will have them shut down in no time. Never sold chalk indeed ! How dare they be so useless !!?? :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

There are no places it matters.

To imply that someone's colour matters is racist, so you can't say the colour of an object matters as that implies racism by the one that says it matters.

So IMNSHO whomever came up with that cr@p is a racist, they might not think they are, but ,they are.

Reply to
dennis

Thought the bracketed /in places were this sort of stuff matters/ conveyed my disdain at what is and isn't considered racist and those who consider this[1] stuff important.

[1] Not real racism, those who think blackboard is racist along with ba-ba black sheep etc.
Reply to
soup

Those that think like that *are* really racist, they just think they aren't.

Reply to
dennis

As with "biro"

Nobo board

Reply to
geoff

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Malcolm saying something like:

PC ridiculousness. The term 'Politically Correct' is mostly misused, in this case by the person who told you that.

Fwiw, I have never, ever thought of black people when I saw a blackboard. Black cars will be PC'd out next in case it gives offence to somebody. That somebody will be a white middle-class sociology student, I've no doubt.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon