Who's an expert on glue here?

Depends. IF you want teh high efficiency, then teh horn is the way to go BUT it has t be carefully designed and made.

We used a LOT of them in PA stuff for discos and bands at the top end. Much cleaner sound. I loved em, BUT they cost an aram and a leg to get that sound right - cheap oes are utter crap - those piezo bullet tweeters YUK.

Down below about 3Khz, is not really on for portable kit. They get massive, and heavy.

Nevertheless, cinemas used em I think. Bass horns anyway.

These days you simply stack up a load of 5-8" drivers and a few megawatts of amps.

And a wobbly 15" for a subwoofer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's either a standing wave (which a horn shouldn't have of course) or overload at the critical point in front of the driver.

There are still some units using mid-range horns - usually for American church music (a huge market) where space isn't critical but getting that 'gospel' sound is. The guy who designs them lives somewhere in Yorkshire I seem to recall.

Reply to
Mike

Think they actually work by adding all stranding waves?

Like I said - a specific or coloured sound. Not a neutral one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sorry, I meant standing waves across the horn - bouncing between opposite sides. Horns work by allowing the cross section area of the horn to grow such that they encase a growing, or at least constant, solid angle along the length of it such that in theory the energy of the sound waves within that solid angle leaves the horn without touching the sides and sound waves that do touch the side do so just the once. Hence the waves add together as you point out.

Think I was answering somebody else's point here that there weren't mid-range horns nowadays. I don't know if they still make them but Tannoy's monitor range used to have a small horn on the mid-range unit. Lower frequencies wouldn't be affected but higher ones would be. I assume the crossover or driver unit corrected for this.

Reply to
Mike

Knew I shouldn't have responded to this thread.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can't correct for colouration in practice.

Tannoy did indeed use an HF horn as part of their dual concentric design, but then I'd excluded HF from my criticism. They also made fully horn loaded cabinets using the same driver - the Autograph. But in the days when valve amps were the norm, and watts expensive. I used to have their smaller brother - the GRF - horn loaded bass but direct mid range. They went very loud. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)