Who knows what a Tauchsieder is in English?

This is what I can buy in Germany:

immerse it in a suacepan or similar container to boil water. Widely available all over Germany. I never learned the English word for it! Where can I get one in England? I just did a search for "immersion heater", but am just getting the kind that fits in the water tank in the airing cupboard.

MM

Reply to
MM

By the way, I mean one that plugs into the mains, not the car ciggie lighter.

MM

Reply to
MM

Try:

2/3 of the way down the page - 12volt version. Is that what you wanted, or were you after a mains version?

Reply to
Gary Cavie

MM typed

Try Googling for 'beverage heater'.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Thanks, Gary, but yes, I want a mains version. I can get one in Germany from any department store that has an electrical section (e.g. Karstadt), but I've never seen them in Britain.

MM

Reply to
MM

MM typed

I've seen them advertised in things like the Innovations catalogue and on sale in 'travel' type shops/departments.

I think my Dad has one but I have no idea where he bought it.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Searching for Cup Immersion Heater turns up lots.

Years ago, it was a common Pifco product in the UK (I had one at university, and it's probably still somewhere in the family). I've still seen them around, but not as frequently nowadays.

Would be rather slow heating a saucepan, although a former colleague used to use one to boil a teapot on her desk.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yo'ur talking about a "beverage heater", a girl had one of these when I was a student in halls (in the early 80s), she called it a beaker heater, it worked of the mains so they must exist/be available. Maybe a speciality electrical shop?

Having a quick grep on the 'net all I can see is 12V versions, would one of these with some sort of mains adaptor not work?

Reply to
soup

a mains example from Plymouth maybe an E-Bay search

Reply to
soup

catalogue - and search for 'immersion heater' - pick the one suitable for water

'

Reply to
NikV

| This is what I can buy in Germany: |

|=20| You immerse it in a suacepan or similar container to boil water. | Widely available all over Germany. I never learned the English word | for it! Where can I get one in England? I just did a search for | "immersion heater", but am just getting the kind that fits in the | water tank in the airing cupboard.

I had one but would never get another. IMO too dangerous. They burned out rather spectacularly. Tipped the mug over and charred the carpet, but I caught it in time :-) The equivalent safe bit of kit is a tiny 240V electric kettle, about 3/4 lifter about 750W. They are quite common, but I can not find a picture of one on sale on line.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop Sick of Premium SMS scams, SMS marketing, Direct marketing phone calls, Silent phone calls?=20 Register with

they work :-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

| In article ,=20 | kylix snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk says... | > This is what I can buy in Germany: | >

| >=20 | > You immerse it in a suacepan or similar container to boil water. | > Widely available all over Germany. I never learned the English word | > for it! Where can I get one in England? I just did a search for | > "immersion heater", but am just getting the kind that fits in the | > water tank in the airing cupboard. | >=20 | > MM | >=20 |=20 | Try: |=20 |
|=20| About 2/3 of the way down the page - 12volt version. Is that what you=20 | wanted, or were you after a mains version?

The 12V versions are IME drastically underpowered, threw mine away.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop Sick of Premium SMS scams, SMS marketing, Direct marketing phone calls, Silent phone calls?=20 Register with

they work :-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Yep, that's the kind of thing, though according to the seller's notes it doesn't have burn-out protection (which the more expensive German ones do).

By the way, the 12V version would probably be enough for a mug of water, but not a saucepan full. But it would be a lot of hassle obtaining a suitable a mains adapter. I may just have to be patient until I next pop over to Hamburg at Christmas.

MM

Reply to
MM

No, nothing like what I'm looking for. The kind of coiled element 'beaker heater' I'm looking for costs around a tenner.

MM

Reply to
MM

Many things are is dangerous if one doesn't take sufficient care. Think: chain saw, electric drill, electric carving knife, electric plane, and a 101 things besides. Also, some of the latest ones come with burn-out protection. I am beginning to think the dearth of suppliers in the UK is down to the nanny state having declared them to be unsafe or undesirable. No worries. I'll just buy mine in Germany.

MM

Reply to
MM

really - apart from the colour and price it looks the same to me 1000w

NikV

MM wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I am beginning to think the dearth of

I think you may be right - however I thought my one was dngerous enough to ditch for one of the diddy kettles for me cupasoup at work

mike

Reply to
mike ring

mike ring wrote in news:Xns9722EA15E1CBAmikeringbtinternetco@130.133.1.4:

If you google for "travel kettle" you'll find millions, including one from Argos

mike

Reply to
mike ring

One place I worked we weren't allowed a kettle because of "health and safety" but we were allowed one of them cup-boilers.

Their main weakness is that, unlike soldering irons, they don't usually have a convenient stand to put them when hot, but not in use.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

looks pretty much like your picture to me

NikV