Who gets the electrics sign-off paperwork?

I've just had some work done in my house that involved installing a new power circuit and making minor changes to the existing lighting and shower circuits. A very simple drawing was produced by an architect and local building control approval was gained before the work started. The drawing is mainly all about drains, ventilation and the basic room layout. There was nothing at all on the drawing about the electrical work and the BCO has not been on site at all..

When I asked the electrician about his sign-off paperwork for the job he said that it has to go to the BCO. Is this correct, or would copies normally be issued to the customer?

In this 'Part P' and 'HIP' infested world, I just want to ensure that it's been done properly before I pay the builder for the work. Either way, I'll call the BCO before I pay the final invoice just to check that everything is OK on their part.

Mike

Reply to
MikeH

The electrical installation certificate is issued to the person ordering the work. A Part 'P' declaration if the person is competent and registered as such under a scheme to self certify is made to the scheme manager and they inform building control on the contraqctors behalf and you should received notification from the local BC Dept.

If they electrician is not part of a competent person scheme then BC are involved and have to inspect at various stages.

Check with your sparks to see which category he falls into and then go from there.

HTH

Steve Dawson

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

This guy is a kosher electrician, so he'll self-certify. My builder employed him to do the electrical work, so I guess the builder is the person ordering the work, or is that me as the end customer? Either way from what you say it sounds like the builder or myself should receive an installation certificate direct from the electrician and the local BCO should eventually get something through the electricians self-certification registration scheme? Sounds very bureaucratic!

Presumably it's important to get these documents in order to prove that the installation complies with the current requirements - otherwise there's nothing to say I didn't do it myself, is there?

Mike

Reply to
MikeH

You should get a Completion Certificate from the BCO for the whole job - which implies that he has seen the Part P documentation before he signs it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Hi,

You are the person ordering the work so you should be issued with the certs

Reply to
Stephen Dawson