Who cuts your wood?

Was it the Do It All chain of shops where they would cut your timber purchases on a big cutting machine? I think it was, but I think they went bust. Anyway, where can I go to that will cut my hardboard and contiboard purchases? I live near Wakefeld in West Yorkshire BTW.

Reply to
Richard

I don't know Wakefield, but Homebase have a cutting service.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

So do B+Q and some Timber Merchants will do so as well. Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

Was it the Do It All chain of shops where they would cut your timber purchases on a big cutting machine? I think it was, but I think they went bust. Anyway, where can I go to that will cut my hardboard and contiboard purchases? I live near Wakefeld in West Yorkshire BTW.

Homebase is absolutely ace for cutting to a list from sheet material

Reply to
Homer2911

Any decent timber mercahnt will do this for you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Err no, it was me, in the garden with a circular saw...

Or was it Professor Plum in the Study with the lead pipe?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Buy a cheapo circular saw and DIY... Only the bigger sheds seem to have a cutting service these days. I'd expect any other place to charge for cutting timber not purchased at that store.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Didn't think lead pipe was legal any more.

And a bounce on the bonce with a length of polypipe doesn't have the same effect.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Reply to
dale hammond

Most big B&Q warehouses will do it for free.

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

I like to support my local timber merchants rather than big sheds for timber.

The quality is usually better and all I have been to recently have cutting facilties.

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

Agree, cheaper in many cases, with a wider range of sizes and decent lengths, up to 5m+. The builders merchant I use also does free delivery. We are 20+ miles from *any* BM or shed, so for big things that is quite a plus. Not sure that the B&Q Superstore (at 20miles ish) does delivery, even for a fee. The nearest B&Q Warehouse is about

40 miles away, I bet they charge an arm, if not a leg as well, for delivery that far.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Even for timber/boards not bought there?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have a TP account for those same reasons

RT

Reply to
[news]

Don't know about 'ace'! IMO you have to watch them like a hawk!

Last 40mm worktop I had cut was put on the machine the wrong way round and so the top surface chipped badly and they cut it half an inch too short. Guy doing it didn't even comprehend he had done anything wrong.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Whilst I'd like to, when I needed a load of floorboards for my conservatory, the timber merchant would only supply random lengths. The construction of the floor required full length boards and was just shy of 3m across the joists, so I only wanted 3m boards (which needed about 50mm cut off each. When I asked them, they looked at me as though I was mad and said it simply wasn't possible to have fixed length boards and that they weren't commonly available.

Fortunately, no-one told B&Q, who had 3m fixed length boards at half the price of the timber merchant's random length ones. The wood wasn't even that bad. I think I've noticed a substantial increase in B&Q wood quality over the last few years.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Did they mention how the lengths got random? It seems a bit of a bizarre statement for them to make, next time I'm down the yard I'll do a bit of a survey... maybe I just never noticed this!

I have not been shopping for bulk timber for long enough to comment on what B&Q used to be like (c 3years).

It seems to me the quality is often variable though. If the timber is loose you can hand pick the good (looking) stuff and leave the crap behind.

I have used B&Q in the past for scant and spent quite some time doing just that, similar stuff I got from builders merchants and timber yards hand a few dodgy lengths in but not the 50% I was 'deselecting' at B&Q.

Of course if its Sunday then your choice is made for you ;-)

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

Does that mean it's now merely poor? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It varies. The stuff is often branded FinnForest now, which seems better than the B&Q branded stuff.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Pretty much all Finnish softwood is high quality, them being so far north and all that.

-- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 4558 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try

for free now!

Reply to
Stuart Noble