Who can move my gas meter?

I'd like to get my gas meter moved (from just inside the front door to a meter or so outside, in our front garden). My gas supplier (Scottish Power) said that I had to get their contractor (Scotia) to do it.

The quote's come in at over =A3700 for what, at a guess, is probably about half a day's work.

Do I have to stick with them - or am I allowed to get anyone else to quote?

Michael

Reply to
michaeld121

Did you fill in the form? The bloke who came out to me in the end said if I'd rung them and told them the trenches were all dug I could have basically had the meter wherever for a lot less.

Reply to
Mogga

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

I had this problem years ago - but after the break-up of gas supplies. When we moved here, the gas meter was just inside the front door at the bottom of the stairs. Apparently, sometime, previous occupants had had a coin slot meter. I contacted my supplier and asked whether anyone other than them could have fitted the meter there. I pointed out the H&S hazard it presented and politely asked them to move it FOC. They sent someone out to look & then agreed they'd do it. :)

Reply to
Si

I've just had a new gas service installed. With National Grid doing all the work: £550 With me digging the trench on my property, all 13m of it: £240 No guesses for which quote I went with.

mark

Reply to
Mark

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Scottish power's policy is to do the work free if being done for a disabled person. (Not that I'm suggesting you invent a disability of course.)

We had ours moved to the outside wall to allow the construction of a downstairs loo, no charge for the work, no documentary proof of disability required at all. (Although 'er indoors does have MS)

Reply to
Keith

Great! The HSE Safety Card being played to advantage.

I did some work for a retired H&S inspector this week - his opinion was that H&S had gone completely OTT, so its nice to see it can be turned to our advantage!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman