Whitewood, Redwood and garden gates

Simple questions, I hope...

I've been told by the powers that be to build/buy/steal a garden gate and fit it.

So in my wisdom I've decided to build one, that way I get to decide how tall, how thick etc...

The timber merchant has 5" and 6" T&G flooring which I assume, with suitable preservative treatment, will be OK?

Also, what's the difference between whitewood and redwood?

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Timber merchants refer to spruce and pine as whitewood and redwood respectively. For joinery, you want redwood. Whitewood is more commonly used for constructional work that will not be seen.

T&G boards are perfectly acceptable for a gate - usually built up as a "ledged and braced" door (with the classic Z pattern of braces on the back - often seen on sheds) or used to board over a "framed" door (where more substantial timbers are morticed and tenoned together to form the frame).

A prettier appearance is T,G & V - where the V is a v-groove formed by a bevel on each edge of the board.

Either way, think about how you will ensure rainwater drains away from the door/gate well, and doesn't sit on the ledges or work its way into the joints.

Reply to
RubberBiker

Whitewood will not absorb preservative I would not touch it with a barge pole for that purpose

If you use Redwood have it vac vac treated after making it and use an exterior non-pva glue such as an epoxy resin Chris

Reply to
Chris George

An open slatted redwood gate will last well without any treatment. If there are no gaps between the slats, it'll be a battle stopping it rotting for the reason given above.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

One is a random softwood from a merchant who doesn't care beyond that and so is the other.

Find a better merchant that can sell you a known species. Then make it larch, maybe Doug fir (with preservative), one of the outdoor-capable cedars or else iroko (more expensive, sustainability issues, but heavier and lasts better). Species choice beforehand preserves better than applying goop afterwards.

Make it with big mortice and tenon joints and a few oversized stainless screws to lock these. Don't use nails or glue, they don't last. Maybe seal endgrain with epoxy. Don't use PU glue, it doesn't survive UV. Design to avoid water traps, esp around end grain.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

European Redwood is a known species but there is a huge variation in quality and price depending on where it's grown. Some is fit for joinery, and some for fencing. Very much a case of getting what you pay for.

Then make it

Reply to
Stuart Noble