Whiter pointing

I wonder if someone can advise?

My house was built in 1963, and has very light-coloured cement mortar pointing around the brickwork - very light grey, almost white in a certain light.

I recently had a window opening bricked up. In an attempt to match the colour of the pointing, the builder added a small amount of lime to the mortar. This lightened it a fraction, but didn't have the desired effect - it's still a darker grey than the original. Adding lime didn't seem the best approach to me, at the time. I now need to brick up another, more conspicuous opening, and want to get it closer this time. Should I be suggesting (a) a greater amount of lime in the mix, (b) whiter sand or (c) whiter cement?

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

You can buy white cement -- I wouldn't bother with lime in this case. A problem is likely to be builders sand, which often has a very potent yellow iron oxide colour. A courser sand has less of the fine pigment, but it is slightly harder to use it for brick laying.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Either Lime mortar with yellow sand or white cement " Mixing lime & cement wont do it,least not at acceptable proportions.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thanks for the replies. We'll try Snowcrete and see how we get on. I have a small area to do first, before the big window filling-in job.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster