White spirit or Turps substitute?

Reading the earlier thread about White Spirit reminds me of something I have always wondered about...

What are the advantages and disadvatages vis-a-vis White Spirit and Turps (excepting price) when it comes to cleaning paint brushes and thinning oil-based paint? What 'exactly' are they / what's the difference?

Thanks in advance,

Keith

Reply to
Keith (Dorset)

================ Have a look here:

for some general information.

I think most people probably use whatever they find on the shelves at Focus etc.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Useful information.

Why to illiterate people think they can create web sites? Written by a moron who can't use a spell checker.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

White spirit evaporates. Subst. turps leaves an oily residue. Subst. turps may also mess with paint drying times, or the hardness of the cured paint.

I don't think there's anything turps will do that white spirit won't.

Real turpentine(s) are of course a different matter.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Oops :-)

Reply to
Andy Wade

Reply to
David Lang

^^^^ illiterate people think they can create web sites? Written by a

Or check their grammar it would seem..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher