white spirit

Can somebody tell me if it's ok to use white spirit to thin paint if the white sprit has turned a yellow shade?

Thanks Kath

Reply to
David Jones

At a rough guess I'd say that depends if you mind the finished paintwork having a faint yellow tinge!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Could try buying a new bottle of it. It is only about a quid!

Reply to
RedOnRed

I really can't believe you would notice

Reply to
Newshound

That depends on the colour of the paint :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Paint is white gloss and I need the white spirit for 8.30 tomorrow morning - so no time to pop out and buy more!

Kath

Reply to
David Jones

Hi,

Try thinning a small sample and compare to the unthinned. Should be OK, oil based paint yellows a little anyway AFAIK due to the oil.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Thanks for that Pete - I'll try it

Kath

Reply to
David Jones

I think B&Q open at 8.00am, so you should be OK :-)

Seriously, you should be perfectly all right - how much WS do you propose to add? I've NEVER had to dilute oil-based paint.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The pigment in any paint will override any effect of "yellowing" in turps.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Stockdale

No prob. White gloss paint isnt quite white, brilliant white is actually a slightly bluey white, so even if the spirit is quite hevily yellowed you're not likely to end up with paint that doesnt look white. Whether the yellow is volatile I really dont know, but hopefully.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Thank you all for your help ...it has worked just fine after all!! Kath

Reply to
David Jones