White matt emulsion

I need to whack a coat of white matt over a room this weekend to tart it up on the quick for visitor. The existing finish is white/light but tired (ie grubby). I'd rather not give it more than one coat, as I don't really have time. It seems that manufacturers change formulations all the time and so performance chages. So - any suggestions, based on recent experience, for the current best product in terms of opacity? (My instinct is to steer clear of most of the shed products, where even the brands seem different, and use something 'trade') I don't really care about cost (as time is money, not that anyone's paying me for it!)

Reply to
GMM

I am informed that Dulux Supermatt white is the way to go.... apparently even on fresh wet skim plaster, this paint can be put straight on with no sealer or thinning required!

Reply to
Stephen

Dulux Matt IME (many experiences on ceilings) has good covering power. It will probably do what you need.

Dulux "Once" which I used, well, once, does do what it says, but halve their claimed coverage figures and roll it on generously.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Dulux. 1 coat is just enough over a grubby wall with a near colour. Not a bad idea to spot paint first, ie paint over any filthy bits then give the lot 1 coat.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In article , GMM writes

I agree with Phil on the paint but think you're fooling yourself with the one coat business, it never works.

You can get 2 coats on in one day though, start early, wait 4 hours and re-coat. The results will be 10x better.

Reply to
fred

It does - sometimes, but you have to get liberal with the application. Mine was light to dark in one coat and I could not fault it.

I would say from "light" to "white" is perfectly reasonable with the right paint.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Sometimes 1 coat is enough. If the new colour is close, if you use high opacity paint like dulux emulsion, and spot treat bad marks first, it can be fine.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well, now it's all on there and dry, I can report that the Johnstone's 'Jonmat Premium Contract' did a very good job of covering a combination of very grubby matt white and pale to medium patterned wallpaper. Except for the bits I missed of course, but I can't blame the paint for that....

Reply to
GMM