White Asbestos (Artex) Questions

I have little DIY or painting/plastering knowledge, so maybe people here can help me..

Over the last couple of months a painter/decorator has been working in my property doing refurbishment, one day a week every couple of weeks. He skimmed half of a hallways with new plaster but the other half (which was coated in a textured paint) he took an electronic sander to. It took an age to sand out the rough bits of the wall, he would paint the sanded area then look for imperfections, then fill, then paint.

Something he said, almost at the end of this job, put terror into my heart. His words were 'when sanding, you could feel the sander hitting the artex, making the job very difficult'. I haven't seen him yet to clarify what 'hitting' means, but I assume if a sander hits artex, it sands, although he said something to suggest the sander wouldn't sand artex, that it kept stopping when it did?. Lots of dust was created from the sanding, although 80% of it was vacumned up at the end of the day, loads of it remained in the air for a while before settling, some getting on my possessions etc.

Looking at the walls, they retained their green colour even after sanding, so I assume what was being sanded was uneven pieces of plaster, lumps of paint and *possibly* traces of artex that was left over from what was an artex wall a long time ago.

I sent 4 samples to a testing company,

- dust that was vacumned up (not including dust in HEPA filter)

- dust on a railing (probably not original sanded dust though)

- Artex on wallpaper from behind Radiator

- A lump of artex from behind radiator (cracked a bit off after wetting)

The artex samples from behind the radiator both tested positive for white asbestos, but the vacumn cleaner dust and railing dust both tested negative.

After sending the samples, I remembered that two years prior I had cleaned behind the radiators with a crevice causing bits of artex to break off. I hoovered that up in the vacumn cleaner I still use now. I didn't know artex had asbestos in at the time.

I have being trying to think my way through this for a week and am now stuck. Options that are in my mind include

- Questioning the painter about what exactly was sanded.

- Sending off more samples for testing from different parts of the room and the hepa filter of the vacumn cleaner used to clean the dust.

- Cleaning every surface in the house with a wet cloth.

- Hiring a Type H Asbestos Vacumn cleaner and going through the house.

- After vacumning with Type H, disposing of carpets in affected areas (they are largely old and dirty, so this isn't a problem)

- Disposing of domestic vacumn cleaner.

I was hoping that the asbestos test would be definitive, but the man responsible for the testing suggested that vacumn cleaner dust may be too contaminated for any reliable result, and I don't think the railing sample was original sander dust. I have found more of the original sanding dust, so am wondering if more tests are in order, or whether I should just just hire the Type H vacumn cleaner and dispose of the domestic one used repeatedly for the sanding cleanup.

If you are knowledgeable in this area, please help.

-- Michael Mould

Reply to
Unimobiles.com

Search the HSE website. Some sensible advice on how to DIY with white asbestos. It's no big deal.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I'm not an expert - but there seem to be two conclusions:

1) The artex does contain white asbestos; 2) The amount of this present in the hoovered dust was too low to measure.

I'd be a little concerned about 1) but 2 suggests very little artex was actually sanded and the air concentrations might well have been tiny. And white asbestos isn't as evil as the other forms.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Relax and forget about it. The real nasty is blue or brown asbestos.

There are two types of asbestos which are actually two very different minerals, but both have a fibrous structure. Blue (and brown) asbestos is the mineral crocidolite, which is highly fibrous, forming very long thin fibres which penetrate into the smallest recesses of the lungs. They do not dissolve in the normal mildly acidic body fluids that line the lung. Hence they hang around for ever and the body tries to get rid of them but can't and a tumor develops. White asbestos is the mineral chrysotile, closely related to serpentine, and although it has a fibrous structure, the fibres are shorter than those of blue asbestos. It is also soluble in the fluids that line the lungs and will dissolve and disappear in about a year, so doesn't cause anything like the same problems as blue asbestos.

The fact that both types are called asbestos is what alarms people, when white asbestos is probably no more harmful than any other dust encountered in industry, such as coal, silica, bagasse etc., all of which can cause various forms of pneumoconiosis (e.g anthracosis, silicosis, bagassosis, and asbestosis) if inhaled in excess over long periods. Blue asbestos causes mesothelioma.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Whats done is done - if you have inhaled fibres you have a chance they will kill you one day. On the other hand they may not lead to anything at all or you could die from something entriely unrelated. Fretting about this is not going to alter the situation and will only cause stress in you and your family. Relax and enjoy life to the full

Reply to
cynic

+1
Reply to
Newshound

Thanks to everyone for the good advice on here. I've found a place to hire a Type H Vacuum cleaner and will slowly and carefully wipe clean all the surfaces and vacuum the entire house as a precautionary measure.

I'm also intend buy a new HEPA domestic vac after the cleanup as the one I have has seen better days.

Reply to
Unimobiles.com

Sadly you're probably quite correct to report this. However it's not clear whether that was because you were a fool to consider them thus, or if it was NHS policy to be naively alarmist.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

A cheap wallpaper steam stripper might be worth it too, if you're looking to remove Artex without a dust hazard.

Reply to
Andy Dingley