Whirloop oven strange behavior of oven lights

Hi all-

Got a strange one for you.

We moved into a 5 yr old house about 6 months ago (in the US). Have a Whirlpool built in electric oven, model RBS305PDB8. Works quite well, still looks to be in "as-new" condition.

Periodically, at random times, sometimes once a week, sometimes once a month, sometimes multiple times a day, when the oven is not in use and the door is closed, the 2 lights inside the oven will flash on and off (on for 1/2 second, off for 1/2 second, repeat NOT flickering, but constant) until we open and close the oven door.

I called Whirlpool, but they hadn't ever heard of this problem (But then again, the guy told me to make sure the bulbs weren't burned out. If they were burned out, they couldn't be flashing!!).

I've tried pushing the door closed (in case it was slightly opened) when this happens, but that doesn't seem to work. I need to open and then close the door to make it stop.

I found a website with error codes for Whirlpool ovens, but they all appear on the lcd display, not by flashing the oven lights.

I have unfortunately been unable to eliminate the posibility that all of this is caused by either of the 2 ghosts that live here. I've asked both, but neither one of them is talking.

Putting that possiblity aside, let me add some details and thoughts:

1) Under normal operating conditions, the light can be turned on by either pressing the "light" button on the control panel or by opening the door. There is a punger type switch built into the oven frame, at the top of the unit. Holding down the punger turns off the light, even if the oven door is open, so I believe that it's the only door open sensor. Depressing the punger even slightly turns the light off and I can pull the door open slightly without the light coming on. So I don't think it's a problem witht he door becoming open, it has to be very open to turn on the light.

2) The last time this happened I tried jumping up and down next to the oven and banging the counter top that it above the oven. No change, just 1/2 second on 1/2 second off. Jiggling the door left and right didn't do anything. Only way to stop it is to open and then shut the door.

3) I tried pushing the door closed more, I mean really pushing on it, still no change.

4) Afer jumping didn't do anything, I tried pressing buttons on the contol panel, looking for any change.

a) Hitting "Light" button turns the light on constant. As soon as I press the button again, the flashing starts again.

b) Turning the oven on cook, starts the oven, (can't remember for sure, think flashing continues), and the temperature setting flashes between the temp and the word "DOOR" indicating that the door is open. If I open the door all the way, "DOOR" stays on permanently.

5) I also tried leaving the door open, not when the flashing was going on, but when the lights were initially off. I left it open for 3 hours and the light just stayed on solid. This eliminates the possiblity that the flashing it some kind of timer saying "hey stupid, you left the door open."

6) Now I'm no electrician, but I'd think that a loose connection would cause flickering of the lights, not a constant 1/2 second on 1/2 second off cycle.

Has anyone ever experienced this before or have any suggestions?

Kindly, Ken

Reply to
nntp.post

Can't help with any suggestions about sensors etc, but on our (UK) Whirpool oven, the light is relay switched and has a slight (perhaps 1/2 second) delay when activated. If yours is also relay switched that might explain the flashing, rather than flickering...

Lee

Reply to
Lee

My provider won't let me post to 7 newsgroups so all but uk.diy removed.

Change the door switch.

No problem.

DG

Reply to
Derek *

I'm trying my hardest not to have to spend $70+ on a simple switch, but I'm afraid that this is the closest answer I've seen so far. There is a 1/2 second delay on my unit as well....

Reply to
nntp.post