Whingers.

Not so, flood plains are associated with watercourses, frequently called "Rivers". I had a house once that was miles from the nearest water (course). On one occasion it came within 1/2" of being flooded during a *Rainstorm*. Houses can get flooded during "Rainstorms" if the drainage is not sufficient to remove water as fast as it it is being deposited in the ground.

The money has to come from somewhere. If houses in "not -at-risk" categories are not to bear the burden of the "At-substantial-risk-'cos it happened last week to prove it" category If any insurer were to insure them the premiums might be such that they could get their claims money back in a relatively short period, IE before it happens again. Recently the average domestic claim was about £25k so expect premiums in the £6 - 10k bracket for properties in areas where there have been claims.

It is getting to the stage where this is not really "Insurance" anymore, more it's a service contract that covers the cost of fixing up flooded houses.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

It holds more than yours.

Reply to
dennis

That is 120% more than the £100 quoted.

Reply to
dennis

You can't choose not to buy into the NHS.

Reply to
dennis

Going back a bit, I think Andy's about right. No one wants to see people in the shit through no fault of their own, but no one wants to subsidise those who elected not to take out perfectly affordable insurance cover.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Just build "park homes" on polystyrene rafts.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Isnt there some ancient law\ bout builders "shall use their own gold" to make good defective building work

Reply to
cynic

I'd be careful then. You might get flooded.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

More's the pity.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If I get flooded there are going to be an awful lot flooded.. it will make whats happened now look pretty tame and bankrupt all the insurance companies and most of Britain.

Reply to
dennis

OK, conversation over.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

Nope. It's insured for up to £500K.

I just put in my house details, address, and postcode, and they gave me a quote.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

Thinking I might be going mad, I just went to Legal and General to get a one-year buildings-only insurance quote for my house to start in August

2007.

Buildings : £500K Excess : £50 Subsidence excess : £1000 Vol Excess : £0 Accidental Damage : Yes

This for the princely sum of £69.24. The house is an end terrace about six miles outside of Belfast.

Perhaps it is the case that buildings insurance over here is cheaper for some reason - perhaps the relatively lower likelihood of flooding.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

Correct: But it is the reality of their situation.

Shit happens,

Shit has happened.

Shit keeps happening.

Shit will keep on happening.

Don't want a shit experience? Get insurance to cover it.

Anybody Disagree ?

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Sorry, so many posts attributable to yourself.

Could you re-post the details of the (Re) buildings cover, the contents cover, the personal possessions cover, and the legal cover, (As I did). So that we can all make a comparison.

Thank you so much.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I remember some quite severe flooding one weekend in about 1970/71 about 6 miles out of Belfast. A colleague was badly affected in Dumurray. There was severe rain overnight, and even the TV stations on top of the hills above Belfast were flooded out.

Reply to
<me9

Insurance doesn't appear to prevent a s**t experience; just remunerate its effects.

The insurance people should be off their fat arses NOW helping to protect their customers' property.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Incidently its the house holders responsibility to protect and/or limit the damage where possible.

What I don't understand is why the people who know they are at risk don't fit flood barriers across doors and instal pumps to keep the water out. £50 to save a lot of grief sounds OK to me.

Reply to
dennis

Just entering this thread on flooding.

A few weeks ago we had some really heavy rain. Didn't bother us as we are

300' above sea level, but in downtown Strood the roads around the local Tesco were 2' deep in water.

Why? Simply because the drain gulleys were blocked up with crud - and stil are. Simple lack of maintenance.

Useless bloody council are great at orgainising the Tour de France to come through - spent £30K of taxpayer money on signs, all of which were stolen afterwards and are being sold on EBAY.

Also spent £80K on signs welcoming visitors to Medway, lovely they are as well, each one mentioning the district you are entering.

But they can't organise a bloke with a stick to go around poking out the crud from the drain gulleys.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No! Our son has been to some festival in North Wales and has run over a rock that has split his engine sump. Over this last week / weekend he has...

Rung me up to see if I would come down with my RAC card and let them tow him home to Oldham. I told him that as I had two cars on my card, that was the limit. (I know, but I get a discount for having no call outs for several years.) He then said that he would go on the RAC web site and join (this was Friday). He rang back later to tell me that they would not provide cover for the first seven days. By the way, the cracked sump happened almost at the beginning of last week.

He then rang me back to ask if I could tow him home and I thought that this would be a possibility, until I got in the bath later for a soak. While there, I realized how hard it would be for him to steer the car and brake when I did and so discounted that idea.

His next phone call was that he had friends down there that had membership to the AA and he was going to see if they would give him a Fergie (toe job).

He rang back ten minutes after we had set off for a birthday party in the centre of Manchester (an hour after his last call) to tell us that the AA had turned him down as it was not a breakdown, but an accident. Before this phone call, I had agreed to go down to him and 'try' to tow him home. But see the para above where I am in the bath thinking about it.

At the party, his cousin, who is very friendly with him called him the tightest person he knew.

My experience is that I feel very sorry for any seller he encounters, because he will haggle to the last. He will also get anyone, but himself, to fund anything he can.

He services his car when absolutely necessary, ie when something has obviously has gone wrong. doesn't have any type of breakdown cover.

But he has had quite a lesson this last week in survival. My costs, alone, to bring him back are going to cost him. Let alone the cost of removal of his car from the site and repair and me taking him back down there next week, to pick up his car. He has, of course, agreed to this before I pick him up.

In short, if he had got his car towed to a garage when he split the sump, he could have had got a local garage to take it in and repair it and arrived at home now and I would be free to have my lunch time pint of real ale :-(.

Finally, I think this sums up the thoughts of those that will not insure against disasters. Working in the aerospace industry, I have always worked my life to the belt and braces system.

My two cars are serviced regularly, to the highest standard and the garage knows not to phone me up if the fault is trivial. Any replacement tyres have to be as good as, or better than, the one that gets replaced. My cars have to be capable of travelling between Preston (Lancs.) to Portsmouth without a hitch, at any time of the day (that is where my lovely g daughters live.)

If you want an account of my 10 hour journey, on Friday night, to Warwick services and back, I can give you a blow for blow, but this post is long enough as it is :-)

I bought our daughter a car a few years ago and it went and had a head gasket blow. It went to a garage in Portsmouth that was very good, but I still took back up here to check it out for a service, by Rover trained mechanics. (I found it a very tight car that performed very well and since I still technically own it, I want to keep it on the road as long as possible. W reg

In final, here is an interesting twist.

Our daughter has always experienced bad luck. I will not go into details.

Our son can drop in a pile of the foulest manure and come up smelling of roses and clutching a pile of twenties in his hand

Reply to
Dave