Which Welder?

The job is to weld containers made of 2.5mm steel. I cant work out which ty pe of welder would be best to choose. Gasless wire is real easy to use comp ared to arc, but IIRC the wire isnt especially cheap, and a bead along all the edges plus more is going to eat a lot of wire. Given the limited time w indows in which the jobs will be done, I suspect gasless wire is the way to go, unless someone knows better. I've not welded in ages, but have used ar c, oxy and gasless wire.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

From my limited experience, CO2 with real gas is the way to go. And a decent, even of "small" welder.

A LOT of money does not guarantee quality, but buying cheap junk will almost certainly be frustrating in terms of poor (slipping, stuttering) wire feed and poor current control.

Although a long way out of date, I loved my little Cebora I had in the

90's. IIRC it was similar to (or even) the Cebora Pocket Mig 130 Turbo:

Tim Watts

Sounds like a MiG job. Too thin for arc welding and oxy needs a contract. I wouldn't waste my time with gasless MiG rods, though. Looks fuggin' 'orrible.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Gasless MIG is _never_ the "way to go". Ever.

Reply to
Adrian

If you need to mig in the wind, then it is...

Reply to
John Rumm

Used extensively in shipbuilding,so much for the gainsayers.

Reply to
F Murtz

Bullshit - use it right and it ain't really a problem.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Utter bollocks.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I thought I'd arc welded thinner than 2.5mm, but its been some while ago with arc. I didnt encounter any problem using gasless mig on cars, its so easy to use. But the wire isnt cheap, and I assume the amount of welding required would make it uneconomic.

NT

Reply to
meow2222