Which way round to fit a diaphragm washer?

Which way round should I fit a circular, one-and-a-quarter inch diameter, ball valve diaphragm washer?

Forgive the many words, but I find these simple washers most difficult to describe.

The washer has a rim, and a solid centre portion. On one side, which I shall call side A, between the rim and the centre portion there is a raised up part; on the other side, side B, between the rim and the centre portion there is a depression.

If I hold the rim and push on the centre portion from side A, the rubber flexes and the centre portion moves in the direction of the push.

If I hold the rim and push from side B, the whole washer is almost rigid.

It seems to me that possibly the washer should be fitted so that the part of the arm that pushes on the centre portion should push onto side A, pushing the rubber onto the plastic nozzle through which water enters.

But today I have come across two valves where the washer had been fitted the opposite way round, hence my question, as I need to replace these two diaphragm washers.

Anode.

Reply to
Anode

The easiest way that it moves goes toward the nozzle in the unit with the protruding part pressing against the nozzle so to speak

Thank you for your comment.

I have now had the chance to look at how a diaphragm washer is fitted by the manufacturer in two new ball/float valves.

The washer has a rim, and all the convolutions in the rubber are on one side of the rim. The side with the convolutions was fitted next to the water inlet nozzle.

Anode.

Reply to
Anode