Which Washing Machine ??

11yo Candy has just died, so what is the groups opinion to its successor?? Bosch ??

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Miele if you can afford it.

Currently full 10 year warranty on some models.

Recently bought a W3240 (co-op online had the best price).

Reply to
dom

" snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com" typed

Agreed.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Bosch! mine flooded the utility room twice. Level sensor assembled the wrong way round. Bosch thought it was a trivial event. I did not.

Reply to
Rob

In message , Tim.. writes

Miele, Bosch and AEG seem to always come out well in Which reviews. We have a AEG dishwasher that has worked reliably. But then so has our pretty cheap Indesit W/M for the last 11-12 years

Reply to
chris French

LG have just released a direct drive (near silent) steam based washer.

"t dramatically cuts water usage ? which is topical, given that we?re facing a drought this summer ? as well as requiring less electricity. According to LG, the washing machine used 35% less water and 21% less energy when tested against a conventional model.

In addition to its eco-friendly credentials, steam-cleaning also reduces shrinkage and extends the life of your threads. And if you?re as repulsed by menial domestic chores as we are, you?ll love the Refresh programme, which removes creases from garments in 20 minutes ? you might as well chuck out that outdated iron today"

presumably you can lob the ironing board away, too. £800 and it's "network compatible", whatever that means LOL

we're probably getting one for xmas.

Reply to
.

Blast! The utility room is the only one I never put an ethernet socket...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Another vote for Miele, build quality is way beyond anything else. Have a look at one in a shop and try to move it, they weigh a bloody tonne, proper metal hinges and the few bits that are made of plastic are decent thick stuff !

We love ours

HTH Jim

Reply to
Jim

The message from "." contains these words:

Wonder how it does on scale? Anything that generates steam also generates problems with limescale unless it's got a proper water softener built in. Even then there are still potential troubles.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

If I'd thought about it I could have dropped one while I had the boy's floor up last week. I'm buggered if I'm lifting it all again.

Reply to
Guy King

In the west of Scotland there is little issue with drought (its about the only thing going for it) hence I'm slightly annoyed at "modern" machines taking in a teacup of water and attempting to wash clothes with it. A half-full drum of water is a wonder to behold...

Mungo (now ducking because of the obvious replies I'm about to get :-)

Reply to
Mungo

washing machines last longer with calgon ?

Reply to
.

Which is complete bollocks in my experience.

I've had a Hotpoint for nearly 20 years. It's had a few things go wrong in that time which I've repaired, but none of them have anything to do with the hard water it's used on. Indeed, having had it to bits a few times, there's not a lot of hard water scale anywhere inside the machine and only a thin layer on the heating element (which is the original), and I've never used calgon or anything else to descale it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Miele.

Not worth wasting time on anything else.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reply to
Piers James

The message from "Mungo" contains these words:

There's no reason why you can't adjust the level-switch. They're only a screw on the face of the unit.

a typical unit. May take a while to work out which screw does what, but it's not impossible.

As a kid we used a pair of them to control hydroplanes in a torpedo. Ran from two car batteries, built into a length of 12" diameter plastic pipe we found on the motorway works. Somewhere, in the bottom of a deep excavation on the M26 between Otford and Sevenoaks is a sunken torpedo.

Happy days.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

I don't get problems with scale on the element, where I get trouble is with it forcing its way alongside the rubber seal between the two halves of the drum.

Reply to
Guy King

I agree, my Miele has a 'Water plus' button which tells it to fill the drum to a decent level rather than use a couple of teaspoonfulls. you can also set this to be permanently on.

Reply to
peter

And another vote for Miele, I recently bought a W3444, 10 year warranty, weighs a ton but when it's spinning at 1600 rpm you can hardly hear it, worth every penny.

Reply to
peter