Which TRVs? Low specific heat actuators?

What preferences do people have and why? I'm replacing my old Mysons which don't seem to work any more. I'm inclined towards Danfoss, they claim to have a quick response time because they are gas filled actuators (low specific heat?) presumably others are liquid? wax? some kind of gel with a high thermal expansion coefficient? Some people have mentioned Drayton, and possibly Honeywell. Any technical reasons for choosing, or are they all much of a muchness or is the position of the sensor in relation to the radiator the decisive factor?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I have Danfoss. V good.

Reply to
IMM

An excellent choice. The Danfoss design has the sensor head further away from the radiator and pipework than most other makes, making the control more dependent on room temperature and less on the water temperature.

Reply to
Andy Wade

???

All bidirectional right angled TRV's can be attached so the sensor is side-mounted and not top-mounted if you wish.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

Agreed. RAS-C2 revolver is the best.

Reply to
Geosolar Heating

If you say so. That certainly didn't used to be the case, but then the valve bodies always used to be directional. Guess I'm just out of date...

Reply to
Andy Wade

In message , Tom writes

TBH, I don't really think it matters that much. What I want most of all id for them to be reliable, to still be working 10 years down the line with no problem or whatever.

I fitted Drayton TRV4's, (in a recent thread a various posters recommended them...:-)) They have met my major criteria of reliability.

I've never measured the performance, but empirically, they seem to keep the rooms at the required temp ok. So I now tend to the view that quicker response times and the theoretical benefits of the head being a little further away from the rad probably don't matte that much.

Reply to
chris French

I've just bought some Draytons and the instructions say that they can be mounted on the flow or return with the sensor vertical or horizontal.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I used the Invensys ones. Without actually being budget options, they were (a) cheaper and (b) had a built in "decorators" cap, in that there is a frost setting, then turn an additional 90 degrees for genuine off. Let's face it, who has kept the decorators caps (if they were ever supplied) after five years?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In message , Christian McArdle writes

I've got some of mine - not all but certainly 4-5 - and you only really need a couple at a time. - over 7 years as well.

Reply to
chris French

I suppose it depends if you actually installed them. Most people get the valves when they buy the house, but not the caps!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I've copied my mother in having the concept of *the* kitchen drawer which is a repository for all sorts of unclassifiable useful things: TRV caps, spare shoe laces, the gizmo for removing x from y, spare vac belt, plug fuses and so on. If it might be useful and it's small it's in the kitchen drawer.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

In message , Christian McArdle writes

If the next owners are lucky I may even remember to leave some behind when we move :-)

Reply to
chris French

No you won't. You'll take them with you in case they fit the next house!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

And the new owners will take one look at them, say "dunno what these are" and throw them away :-)

Reply to
Neil Jones

If you didn't, you would be really upset to find that the previous owner of your next house hadn't left you any!

Reply to
Ric

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:33:58 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named Tony Bryer randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

You're not a long lost brother are you?

Reply to
Hugo Nebula