Which transformer for fridge freezer

Hi, please can someone tell me what 240v to 110V transformer I need for our side by side fridge freezer. It's from the US, 110V and rated at

102 KWH/month. Screwfix sell a 750 W for =A335 and 3.3 KW for =A347. Thank you, Neil
Reply to
nafuk

In message , nafuk writes

Interesting, that means in February (28 days) it's averaging 152 watts and March (31 days) just 137 watts. If the chiller runs for 25% the time that means around 600watts power consumption (when running in Feb), so the 750watt one should be OK.

Reply to
bof

The rating of "102 KWH/month" doesn't tell us (or you) what is needed to work out the rating of transformer needed to run your fridge. There should be a rating plate on it somewhere that will tell you the current rating (or maybe the kw, not kwh).

Are you sure that the fridge will be OK running on UK 50Hz mains, if it's from the US it will be designed to run on 60Hz and the compressor motor may not be happy running on 50Hz even at the correct voltage. The rating plate should indicate this as well, it will have something like:-

100-120 volts 55 - 65 Hz (or maybe c/s) 12 amps

Obviuosly the numbers will vary, I'm only suggesting the sort of ball park figures you might see.

Reply to
usenet

For something on for a lot of the time like this, I'd reccommend a well over-rated transformer to reduce losses (i.e. electricity cost). Also remember that the plate wattage on a 60Hz appliance may differ at 50Hz.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

I'd use 3KVA. The problem with fridge motors is the high starting current. The only drawback is that the Screwfix 110V transformers are a bit inefficient under no load conditions, so consume around 50W continuously, which increases the operating costs. Say £40 a year.

Hope this helps

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

It is rated at 50 or 60 Hz and has in fact been running happily for 8 years here in the UK. I've bought a 110v saw and so need another transformer - I was going to use the 2 KVA currently on the appliance for the saw and get a new one for the fridge. Thank you, Neil

Reply to
nafuk