which speedy joist hangers

I have to fit joists onto a ledger plate bolted to the wall. Masonry hangers into the wall is not an option as the mortar courses are not level so would be a total pain. Ledger plate and joists are all 75mm x

225mm. What type of speedy joist hanger to use ? There are types (maxi-speedy ?) that just nail to the side of the timber, or ones (long-leg ?) which are wrapped over the top (presumably recessed into the back of the ledger plate so the rear surface is still flat against the wall). I guess wrapped over is stronger. If wrapped over, how "square" should you try and get them against the timber ? Just nailing to the front seems easier, but is the result less strong ? I realise square twist nails should be used. Cheers, Simon.
Reply to
sm_jamieson

You could consider cutting slots in your masonry for the build-in hangers where necessary or if there is room, use a combination of notching the joist end and fitting a packing piece under the joist end to take up the variation which presumably is not more than the height of one brick course ~75mm Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

This post isn't very clear. 'nail to the side of the timber' - which timber? - the joist or the wallplate? 'recessed into the back of the ledger plate'? 'nailing into the front' - which is the front? and the front of what?

I've done a diagram of how it's normally done:

Phil L

Nail to the side of the wallplate

Reply to
Simon

Sorry, posted before I'd finished. Anyway I'll have a look at the diagram when I get home. Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
Simon

I used masonry-face fixing joist hangers, rather than a wall plate. Four 10mm fixings (multimontis) per hanger. Used a 4-hole jig, slid along a temporary batten to ensure accurate placement of hangers. With modern tools and fixings it's both quick, and results in the loads spread over many more points in the masonry. Only downside is the cost of that many masonry fixings.

Reply to
RubberBiker

You can bolt Maxi Speedys to the ledger plate. I've used these to do so

hex nut driver in a cordless makes it a quick job.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

> Magnetic hex nut driver in a cordless makes it a quick job.

Thanks, other thing, I was wondering whether to use 50mm thick ledger plate or 75mm. Anyone know what is usually used ? Simon.

Reply to
Simon

Thanks Phil. About wrapping the hanger around the back and fixing. This will mean the wall plate cannot go flat against the wall, since at the back the hanger is standing proud of the wall plate. So I guess you could recess the metal into the back of the wall plate so it is all flush ? Simon.

Reply to
Simon

The metal used to make these things is less than 1mm thick, so no, it doesn't ned recessing.

You don't *have* to fix to the back of the wallplate, just if it's possible, if it's not then it's no big deal

Reply to
Phil L

I've never seen one thicker than 50mm

Reply to
Phil L

On 18 July, 09:39, Simon wrote: ///

How long is this wall plate and what load is it supporting? How many joists are butting onto the wall plate?

Problem that has to be solved is similar to designing joists to support a floor.

I may be misunderstanding something about the requirement here, but in general I am sceptical that just willy-nilly putting up a wall plate and fixing n joists to it via thin metal joist 'hangers' will stand the test of time.

For starters, thin style hangers are used to hold joists into notches in the wall plate. Otherwise joist hangers made from thick (c.3mm) steel plate should be used.

The method of fixing the wall plate, distance between bolts, and size of bolts needs determining based on the load to be carried.

Whether 50mm or 75mm, or some other size is needed depends on these considerations. As does the depth of the wall plate.

HTH

Reply to
jim