Which solvent to dilute Tippex?

And a pain to chip off the screen.

I remember an electronic typewriter that wrote like that. It would do graphs etc - *slowly*

Owain

Reply to
Owain

replying to Andy, Tony mc wrote: I tried xlyene, & it worked a treat!. Available from diy stores for cleaning brushes.

Reply to
Tony mc

only 10 years late. You need this:

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The solvent in modern Tippex is 1-Cyclohexane.

Reply to
Simon Mason

The solvent in modern Tippex is 1-Cyclohexene.

Reply to
Simon Mason

Yes its about time this awful web interface was stopped from using this group till they sort out the dates of their posts. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Mind you don't upset a moderator....

Bwhahaaaaaaa

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Not just good old days - innovative - it is excellent for marking leather (equine tack) anhd plastic and anything too dark to take coki pen , and I find comes off - usuing some of these great ideas posted!

Reply to
Loopi

Eh? Its acetone by the way. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I don't think it is acetone - that's nail varnish remover. Tippex is some sort of chloro organic solvent.

Ah, Wikipedia says that it was originally 1,1,1-trichloroethane but that was too toxic for solvent sniffers, so they now use "an aliphatic hydrocarbon" (without being specific).

I never really liked the smell of Tippex. Much better for snorting is the solvent used by Banda spirit duplication - propanol probably - when the copies are freshly duplicated and handed out in class at school.

Reply to
NY

A 14-year-old post. I expect the solvents have changed several times. You used to be able to get Tippex thinners until teenagers started sniffing it. Why can't we buy anything we like as long as we sign a form saying, "I don't care how many kids die from misusing this (solvent, glue &c.)"?

Reply to
Max Demian

It's been water based for a while, so probably acrylic. Acetone, Isopropyl Alcohol and Meths can dissolve acrylic paints so it might do the trick here.

Reply to
Fredxx