Which shower pump

Just about to refit the bathroom and plan to replace existing wall mounted Mira power shower with a thermostatic mixer valve and separate pump. So, any recommendations - for valve and pump? It's only an over-bath thing so no fancy full-body-shower thingies. I do need a quiet pump though - plan to mount in loft. System is conventional gravity fed hot/cold supply.

Reply to
Alan

- Pump from Stuart Turner

- Shower from Mira, Aqualisa, Grohe, Hansgrohe

Reply to
Andy Hall

I find the Aqualisa pump in the airing cupboard very noisy (and the fact that the microswitch occasionally keeps the water running after the shower is turned off doesn't help) - would a Stuart Turner pump work with the Aqualisa shower & be quieter?

Reply to
Si

Thus spake Alan ( snipped-for-privacy@hereinuk.co.uk) unto the assembled multitudes:

I had an Aqualisa Quartz fitted last February to replace a gravity fed shower, and I'm very happy with it, though it wasn't cheap. The shower equipment itself was about 580 quid and the plumber's and electrician's bills (materials, labour and VAT) brought the cost up to nearly 1000. The pump/processor is in the attic, next to the cold water storage tank. You do hear the pump if you're not the one taking a shower, but it's not loud. It gives a good flow of water - about 12 litre/min in normal use, and 18 litre/min on boost (which I rarely use anyway). As there is quite a long run of pipe from the pump to the shower, it takes about 8 seconds to come up to temperature, so the water is cold to start with, but the Quartz has a light which flashes until it's safe to jump in :-)

Reply to
A.Clews

Generally any standalone pump will work with any shower. Keeping the noise down is also much to do with how you install it. Making sure there are flexible connections to the pipes (usually supplied with the better pumps), and having the pump fixed to something heavy like a paving slab that is in turn isolated a bit from the fabric of the building helps enormously.

Reply to
John Rumm

No shower pump is quiet, just some quieter than others. The best are not cheap, around £50 for the pump and fitting over that. If you have decent cold water mains, giving far higher pressures than a pump, then try:

  1. An Ideal Standard Trevi Boost venturi shower mixer. No pump needed using a venturi in the shower. You need a 22mm hot supply from the cylinder.
  2. A shower coil cylinder. A coil that takes mains pressure water in the top of the hot water cylinder and heats cold water instantly.
  3. Fit a plate heat exchanger and bronze pump to the extisting cylinder and run the high pressure cold water through that. Plate Heat exchanger about £85, pump around £100 on Ebay. Flow switch about £25 to £30, Surrey flange about £15. Very quiet and "very" high pressures; what the mains gives you.
  4. Fit a combi. Your boiler may be old and this may be the ideal time to update to a high efficiency combi.
  5. Fit a high flow Rinnai multi-point water heater doing away with the cylinder. Can be fitted outside.

The cheapest is Nos 1 & 2.

When going mains pressure use a "combi" mixer with an integral pressure equalisation valve. Triton make one which is cheap enough and very good.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

=A350? Surely that's the worst not the best?!

I have a pump which is "ultra quiet" but it's not at all. I don't know how they get away advertising them as such.

Reply to
adder1969

typo, £250.

No one has taken them to court yet, that is why.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Typot: should be Nos 1 & 3.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Thus spake adder1969 ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) unto the assembled multitudes:

That's probably because the phrase "ultra quiet" is actually rather meaningless. Ultra-quiet compared to what? A space shuttle launch or someone eating a bowl of rice krispies? If they'd advertised it as "silent" then you could have 'em under the Sale of Goods Act.

Reply to
A.Clews

True enough

Do you really you think you'll get anything other than short-lived crap=20 at that price?

Reply to
Andy Burns