Which SDS drill

Looking for a good quality SDS drill for up to £100 and cannot make up my mind between these two:

? Anything else I should consider?

Reply to
JoeJoe

> and

That 2nd url should be

SJP

have one of those. Very impressed with it. Light and easy to use, very very good speed control that allows a great amount of finesse when in chisel mode. You can lock off the rotation of the chisel bit in any position as well. So it is ideal for chasing cable runs and socket cut-outs etc since you can always get the tool at a comfortable angle to hold.

SDS drills are also well respected. This one is about 100g lighter than the Makita but at the expense of a bit less power and impact energy per blow (2.4 rather than 2.7J)

Depends a bit on the tasks you have in mind - but a good all round tools this class of amchine is hard to beat.

Also have a look at the Hitachi here:

John Rumm

In article , SJP writes

Reply to
tony sayer

Just bought one of these myself. Very impressed so far BUT don't fall for Axminster's add-on purchase suggestions of a chuck and drill bits. The advert doesn't mention it but the drill comes complete with a chuck and FOUR packs of SDS drills. I now have LOTS of spares!

-- Geoff Beale Extract digit to email

Reply to
Geoff Beale

In message , John Rumm writes

Chaps,

if it is of any interest - a friend of mine recently managed to 'bounce' his Hitachi chop saw off of a workbench. The resulting bounce wasn't quite as bouncy as he'd have liked.... it broke the handle.

Now, as you'll all know, a chop saw without a handle is like a bench saw without a bench - totally bloody useless.

He got onto Hitachi, they emailed him drawings, he picked the (two) required parts plus a new dust bag and was lighter to the grand ole sum of 29 pounds including postage. They arrived two days later as promised.

Next time I'm umming and ahhing between some other brand and a Hitachi, the Hitachi spares situation will be a major factor in their favour.

Hth

Reply to
somebody

Good to hear. IIRC, Grunff had a similar story to tell with his DeWalt SDS when he inadvertanly killed it - easy and sensibly priced spares.

(come to think of it - I managed to order a spare plastic bit for my 14 year old B&D proline circular saw the other day without any difficulty)

Reply to
John Rumm

Seconded! I have a 2450T (with keyless chuck). It was also top in the recent test by Which? Magazine. Mine came with 20 SDS drill bits too!

Mark

Same for a B&D router not quite that old.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thank you all - looks like the Makita it is then...

Reply to
JoeJoe