Which SDS?

Page 3 of 3
IMM wrote:

Please, not this again...
Once I factor in my time, it's cost goes from 30 to 130.
--
Grunff

As others have said, I don't think that has rotostop.

Something else to consider is the Wickes own brand 500w one. Its a rebadged (well, was - I notice they have given up rebadging them!) Kress.
Seems a nice tool and I think it is under 100 quid now.
Darren

various
rebadged
A good product and buy.

dmc wrote:

I got a Wickes SDS for 112 last year and have been very happy with it. The roto-stop has been very usefull, I wouldn't get another SDS without it. Arthur

makro are doing a power devil one with a 1000w+ motor bits and ordinary chuck cheap and cheerful at around the 30+vat. think it got 2 year warranty!

various
cope!
If you are doing an extension or the likes, go for it. At that [rice and guarantee you can't complain. If it falls apart after a major job you have lost nothing at all.

Don't bother. The standard "cold" chisel does an excellent job.
Christian.

IMHO I would have the DSR Bosch.... if it's the model with the quick change chuck then you get effectively 2 drills in one..
If you already have a good hammer drill then get the DeWalt..
Cheers IanJH

various
cope!
change
I agree with the DSR an excellent interchangeable keyless chuck, took off loads of rendering with it, and it laughs at any hole I wish to make. Good carry case, plenty of flex, comes with some good bits. Feels like it will last forever. Good control (also useful for heavy duty screwdriving) and a lot lighter than the crap 30 quid ones.
My mate just brought the performance power crap. It gave up the ghost after only 20 minutes use.
The Dewalt brand is overrated and expensive IMHO. When you consider the cost of the keyless chuck the Bosch is cheaper. As somebody said before I have also always been impressed with Makita.

after
cost
In my experinece Bosch are overated. I have had trouble with Bosch drills. Makita are superior, in that price range. For DIY? Probably the Wickes 500w Kress (which is a pro drill), the Eaurbaur from Scxrewfix (another pro drill), or the Bosch 95 job from Argos (DIY drill).

IMM wrote:

Drills (in general) seem to be an area where there is a more significant difference in performance between the blue and green Bosch ranges.
I have not heard any complaints from owners of the blue Bosch drills - even those who (ab)use them every day for trade purposes. Yet problems with the green Bosch seem to be far more common - especially with things like speed controllers ceasing to perform their primary function.
(owner of a single speed green Bosch drill that was previously a two speed drill but has since changed it's mind!)
--
Cheers,

John.

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:31:26 +0100, John Rumm

This is odd (to me at least), I've not had the pleasure of a blue one yet, but I have two green ones and both are continuing to do pretty much all I ask of them every time! Must be good luck I guess, as you're not the first I've seen recount it.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

What's the DIY equivalent of bar room lawyers?
--
*Sleep with a photographer and watch things develop

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:04:36 +0100, Dave Plowman
Well if we're talking "solicitor" type, then a talking budgie? ;O)
But a Minah bird if it's supposedly a barrister! (louder, dresses in black, goes on saying the same old thing forever, in the vain hope it sounds more impressive the 93rd time around, and probably knows more oaths!)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:38:12 +0100, "John Woodhall"
Up until recently, I'd have not particularly agreed or disagreed, but I sure would have wavered some about that. However another in this group had some trouble with a biscuit jointer I think it was, then I had trouble with one of their routers (two if you count the replacement the supplier tried me with) I felt they had a manufacturing or design fault, certainly a feature I felt was wholly out of place; the supplier made like they didn't quite believe me, as I'm not what you'd call experienced. So, at their suggestion, I called DeWalt, spoke to their tech bloke (excellent) and related my concern with the way the thing was, they sounded fairly sympathetic, and said they'd get back to me later that day, they didn't; and it was over 2 weeks before they did, but when they did, they agreed it was a design / manufacturing flaw / unacceptable, thanks very much for the heads up, and news that they were taking remedial action, and quite possibly considering a recall if a retro mod was not possible!
Assuming the service I got was typical, then I suspect it's perhaps not quite as overpriced as it first looks as, eventually, it was pretty impressive, but I am not confident my experience was all that typical, as I have also had some rather mixed experiences when calling them regarding a couple of other earlier issues, where I needed clarification on a few points.
Obviously I can't find it in me to have full confidence with the brand now, as by it's nature the fault suggests a totally lacking QC regime. However I have still to find a suitable replacement which I like as well as the machine I had to return, it really did suit me that well apart from the fault!
I may well return to the Bosch camp yet. Buying Ferm stuff here and there to fill in gaps until I am certain of how I feel about it all. Makita looks quite good stuff too. I'm really not happy that I read in here about Bosch making similar models with slightly differing numbers (Pre/Suf-fixes), and that some of those variants are built down to a price for certain retailers, it makes it rather too hard to know exactly where you stand, and that does not inspire too much confidence for me.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEsportimport.co.uk says...

I'd been considering the same thing myself. Three's the cheapie 'Ferm' at 30 notes - already beenmentioned - and also the 70 JCBE-RHD820 from Argos -
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId10001&langId=-1&catalogId 01&productIdb483
Not sure what it's like though.
Peter.
Thanks to all the posts, narrowed to the three 2kg contenders:
Makita, Dewalt and Bosch. Sadly couldn't make the show this weekend hoping to pick up a deal. I live quite close to Kempton but unfortunately called out overseas for the duration of the show.
Screwfix it is then and the Makita won partly on votes here, but at 25% more power than the Bosch and 20 cheaper leaving money for the bits, the choice has been made. Decided against the sub 100 ones as the stop will come in handy over the life of the tool.
Long list of jobs now including chasing, drilling lintel, drilling concrete fence posts, stripping tiles from kitchen etc, will report back on how I get on with the Makita.
Thanks again
Colin