Which SDS?

I find the SDS chisel to be unbelievably good at removing tiles. With chisel and hammer it was taking an age to remove them, in tiny slivers and chips. With the SDS chisel, the tiles came off whole in about half a second.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Don't bother. The standard "cold" chisel does an excellent job.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If you are doing an extension or the likes, go for it. At that [rice and guarantee you can't complain. If it falls apart after a major job you have lost nothing at all.

Reply to
IMM

Once you know what power tools can do, you use them. Relative of mine would never have tackled some DIY job if cheap power tools were not available.

Reply to
IMM

A good product and buy.

Reply to
IMM

With a 3 years guarantee too. So send it back.

Reply to
IMM

Please, not this again...

Once I factor in my time, it's cost goes from £30 to £130.

Reply to
Grunff

IMHO I would have the DSR Bosch.... if it's the model with the quick change chuck then you get effectively 2 drills in one..

If you already have a good hammer drill then get the DeWalt..

Cheers IanJH

Reply to
IanJH

In message , dg writes

DIY can mean many things, for me it means rewiring my house, replumbing etc. not just the infrequent hole. And this goes for plenty of us here.

And anyway even if the intentions is not to sue the chiselling function much -it's be a shame not to spend the bit extra for a useful function.

I bought mine after getting fed up slogging away with my walls cutting holes for backboxes and channelling out the brickwork.

After I had used the SDs to do the first one in a few minutes with ease it had already been worthwile.

Reply to
chris French

I agree with the DSR an excellent interchangeable keyless chuck, took off loads of rendering with it, and it laughs at any hole I wish to make. Good carry case, plenty of flex, comes with some good bits. Feels like it will last forever. Good control (also useful for heavy duty screwdriving) and a lot lighter than the crap £30 quid ones.

My mate just brought the performance power crap. It gave up the ghost after only 20 minutes use.

The Dewalt brand is overrated and expensive IMHO. When you consider the cost of the keyless chuck the Bosch is cheaper. As somebody said before I have also always been impressed with Makita.

Reply to
John Woodhall

In my experinece Bosch are overated. I have had trouble with Bosch drills. Makita are superior, in that price range. For DIY? Probably the Wickes 500w Kress (which is a pro drill), the Eaurbaur from Scxrewfix (another pro drill), or the Bosch £95 job from Argos (DIY drill).

Reply to
IMM

Your tiles must have been well stuck. Mine you could almost pull off with your fingers...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But it will be a 50% (£45) increase for the drill with roto stop, and what I am saying is that while it may be useful, is it really worth the extra cost for DIY ?

You could go on forever paying a bit more for the next model up with the extra features. Sure, you may use the features for a, but do you need them - you have to draw the line somewhere.

Given x amount of money to spend, do you buy a drill and roto stop to use the stop feature once, or do you buy a plain vanilla drill and planer, sander, cordless etc and use all the tools more often?

I would advocate only buying what you need, not what you might need. With DIY there are very few tools you actually need, but a far greater number you may need may want, or which you thought you may need and use rarely

If you want to do any channeling and box sinking then a drill is a crude tool. Far better would be a proper box sinker attatchment or an attachment for an angle grinder. Both would be quicker, have less disturbance to the walls and with dust extraction, much more tidier than having bits of block and dust fly all over the place.

The attachments would not cost any more than a good drill with the roto stop, and be much more cost and time effective.

If you think you will need to do some channeling or box sinking for a one-off large project at home, or for more regular jobs, then you would buy the best tool for doing this, or hire it for one-off. Yes you could use a roto stop drill, but it is not the best tool to use, and certainly not the tool to buy on a might use basis.

dg

Reply to
dg

IMO, Yes.

In the three months since I acquired my SDS I have used it for the following tasks:

With Rotostop engaged: Demolishing a concrete block wall; Removing a roomful of tiles; Chiselling a window rebate to make the sill fit; Chasing walls for shower plumbing; Chopping walls to make bath fit; Modifying hole around a waste pipe to adjust its position.

Total: several hours work. Would have been several months with hammer and bolster.

Without Rotostop: Drilling three holes.

Total: several seconds work

I generally use my trusty hammer drill for plain old drilling. The SDS causes too much havoc and destruction 8^) And I haven't got such a wide range of bit sizes.

I'm just a "normal" DIY-er, honest! No kind of professional at all.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Edgington

I would buy one with a compulsory fixed roto stop that can't be turned off, but not one without a roto stop at all. Obviously, having the choice is much better! I consider an SDS drill to be primarily a powered chisel, with the added benefit of taking chunky drill bits, like core drills.

I prefer the flying chunks of the chisel to the quite spectacular dust storms of an angle grinder.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That'll be why you didn't wait for the SDS then? I could have ordered my drill from Screwfix and had it delivered before I'd managed to remove the tiles by chisel and hammer. It took all of 3 minutes to remove the entire lot by SDS cold chisel. And that includes pausing to take a picture of my partner with a huge grin on her face as she blasted through the things.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

IMO Yes, also if he bought the Makita it would only be a 30 increase.

You are correct - you can keep adding features that you will never use. However look at the OPs first post - he specifically stated he wanted an SDS for the cases where "general DIY where my normal drill can't cope!"

- I would have to include chiselling under the list of jobs that a normal hammer drill would not cope with! "general DIY" also suggests a broad range of tasks for which the more flexible tool might be better suited.

Well if the OP has wall like ours then there are times when even drilling a 5mm hole 15mm deep *requires* the SDS!

I would suggest buying a tool with a sensible set of features. With an SDS I would suggest having the roto stop is a sensible feature to have especially as it does not cost that much more.

There is also the argument that you can get satisfaction from using a good tool which is smooth, powerful, gets the job done without too much vibration and operator fatigue, and then lasts for years.

Most of the box sinker attachments require roto stop.

You would need some *serious" dust extraction to make using an angle grinder for chasing walls indoors a sensible proposition!

For things like box sinking I think you will find the drill with a chisel is actually a pretty effective tool.

Reply to
John Rumm

Drills (in general) seem to be an area where there is a more significant difference in performance between the blue and green Bosch ranges.

I have not heard any complaints from owners of the blue Bosch drills - even those who (ab)use them every day for trade purposes. Yet problems with the green Bosch seem to be far more common - especially with things like speed controllers ceasing to perform their primary function.

(owner of a single speed green Bosch drill that was previously a two speed drill but has since changed it's mind!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Erm, box sinkers require rotary stop...

Angle grinders throw vast amounts of dust all over the place.

I'll grant you that *good* (aka *very* good) dust extraction on an angle grinder may reduce the mess but that is yet another extra for suitable vacum device hoses etc.

Box sinkers are not cheap. Screwfix single box set is =A384.99, the single and double box set with 30mm channelling chisel, 5 x 6mm drills, circular cutter and SDS bolster type chisel is =A3189.99. The dust extraction unit =A369.99 (Yes, =A369.99, that is what Volume 72 has= it listed as, for a polypropylene moulding, typo for =A36.99?)

I agree a box sinker is the best tool for sinking boxes but they ain't cheap (see above) and you *still* require the roto-stop drill. For just a few boxes a plain chisel is far cheaper. And, in my case, saves a minimum 50 mile round trip to the nearest hire shop.

Channelling I just cut through the plaster along each edge of the channel then zipped up the middle only minor break out from the skim and cutting at of 6' in a matter of minutes. Plaster in large lumps not pulversised to dust that a channel cutter would produce.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Same here. Almost took me longer to get sds out of its case, connect it up & lay down dust sheets etc than actually knock all the tiles off a bathroom wall. I wouldn't do tile removing any other way after this. Almost made a tiresome job fun ...

Reply to
BillR