Which SDS?

Page 2 of 3

You don't need any power tool if it comes to it. But I use my power chisel on many occasions for what I consider normal DIY. Of course, if all you're doing is putting up some shelves any decent SDS drill is probably an extravagance.
--
*I yell because I care

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:22:52 +0100, dg wrote:

My SDS has done far more hours in rotary stop than it has spent drilling holes. The hook to hang the purchase on was chasing out the channelling for the cottage kitchen rewire.

Speant 99.99 on the Bosch SDS from Argos, with rotary stop. Used the already existing lump hammer and chisel to remove the tiles. I wouldn't have liked to have done all the chasing by hand. Very neat and quick with the SDS.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I find the SDS chisel to be unbelievably good at removing tiles. With chisel and hammer it was taking an age to remove them, in tiny slivers and chips. With the SDS chisel, the tiles came off whole in about half a second.
Christian.
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 17:51:18 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote:

Your tiles must have been well stuck. Mine you could almost pull off with your fingers...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

That'll be why you didn't wait for the SDS then? I could have ordered my drill from Screwfix and had it delivered before I'd managed to remove the tiles by chisel and hammer. It took all of 3 minutes to remove the entire lot by SDS cold chisel. And that includes pausing to take a picture of my partner with a huge grin on her face as she blasted through the things.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Same here. Almost took me longer to get sds out of its case, connect it up & lay down dust sheets etc than actually knock all the tiles off a bathroom wall. I wouldn't do tile removing any other way after this. Almost made a tiresome job fun ...

To finish off, you need a coarse grit belt sander. Eats through that pesky leftover tile adhesive in no time.
Christian.
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:37:30 +0100, "Christian McArdle"

Tried that some time ago, the adhesive still managed to stuff the belt on the sander pretty quickly.
Seems like there's only one easy solution to get rid of leftover tile adhesive. Show SWMBO how to use the appropriate tools......
PoP
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:57:01 +0100, PoP

You can get dressing sticks from places like Axminster tools which will unclog a belt a few times.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Thanks for that - I hadn't been aware of that.
I got a dressing stick for my grindstone a long time ago. I don't use it very often, but when I do I'm always concerned about the grindstone shattering as you poke this device into the spinning wheel.
Seems to do a good job though.
PoP
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:57:01 +0100, PoP wrote:

And when it works spews dust all over the place.
Ordinary tile adhesive is not water proof. Apply water with a drop or two of washing up liquid leave to soften for a few minutes, scrape off, easy and no dust.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 21:58:44 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"

Don't sound like half as much actual fun though! ;O)
Besides, dust is SWMBO's dept. (she just loves to be the boss, so I just keep telling her she is!) ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
Colin M wrote:

No rotaion stop on this one...

Both of those seem well respected.
Another you might want to add to your list is the Makita HR2450 (720W) at 119.00 pounds. (Screwfix order code 54139) Works out about the same price as the Bosch above when you factor in the fact that there are no drills or chisels included with this one. But you do get a bit more power.
--
Cheers,

John.

various
cope!
are these inc or exc VAT?
D&M list the 566k as 149 inc and the 2450 at 125 inc. If the OP is around West London then they _might_ have special offers at their show this weekend. You'd get the chance to play with them at least.
566K mentions torque control and is 650W, 0-2.4J impact energy. 2450 doesn't mention any torque control but is 780W and 2.7J
Keyless chucks are 15 and 20 additional respectively, don't know whether screwfix include these.
cheers Richard
-- Richard Sampson

power.
Avoid the DeWalt. The Makita is a far superior machine.

I've had one for years, and it's been great. An ideal combination of power against weight.

Thought you only bought B&Q stuff? And how can you possibly have tried all of them?
--
*If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?

various
cope!
And a better product too.
Argos do a Bosch for 95. Not sure if it has rotary stop.

If all you want is something cheap what about the Ferm one that screwfix are listing at the moment, 620W hammer stop and rotary stop, doesn't seem to come with any tools, but they only want 29.99 for it. (screwfix prt no 94802)
Tim Morley
Tim Morley wrote:

Yes, but it's a steaming pile of shite which breaks in under 5 hours of use. See previous threads on subject.
--
Grunff

seem
With a 3 years guarantee too. So send it back.