Which Programmable Room Stat?

Page 1 of 2
I am seriously considering replacing the room stat on my central heating system with a programmable stat - to enable me to have several different temperatures set during the course of the day. I have a Danfoss SET5 programmer which will continue to programme the hot water - but with CH set to "continuous".
I notice that a number of companies make (or sell) programmable stats - including Drayton, Honeywell, Horstmann, Sunvic (plus Screwfix) - all of which are basically similar but with a few variations.
Features which seem to me to be useful include: * At least 4 programmed events per 24 hours (preferably 6) * Time resolution (granularity) of 10 minutes or better * 2 day types (nominally weekday/weekend) with the ability to set any day to either type * Temporary over-ride without re-programming * Holiday feature enabling the heating to be off for a period and them resume automatically after a specified number of days - preferably up to at least 50 days
Does anyone have a view on this shopping list? Have I missed anything important? Are any of the above features a waste of time? [I'm only looking at wired models - I can't see any point in using an RF model since the wires are already in the right place].
I would particularly like the over-ride to work in the same way as my current programmer if possible - but I haven't found any that are exactly equivalent yet. My current programmer (which admittedly is only controlling the on/off function and not temperature) has an "Advance" button which takes it to the next programmed event early, and then reverts to the set programme. For example, if it is set for 2 on periods (say 7am-10am and 4pm-8pm), if I press this button at noon it will come on straight away (instead of waiting till 4pm) and stay on until 8pm. Most programmable stats which I have looked at seem to have up/down buttons to enable you to change the set temperature until the next programmed event - but not simply to jump to the next event and adopt whatever temperature is specified for that event. Are there any which can do this?
I would welcome recommendations of specific makes/models to look at based on the above requirements and (hopefully) your personal experience of any you recommend.
TIA.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Very droll!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Peter.

The Horstmann (sold by Screwfix, and others though sometimes badged differently AIUI) is not what you want. I know, I've got one :-(
There's a Sunvic (dunno the model number offhand) which may be closer to your ideal (pretty sure it hasn't got the advance feature, and not sure about the holiday feature though)
I think there was a[t least one] thread on this recently - Google
-- John Stumbles -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-|-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+ Thank God I'm an atheist

I did "Google" before posting the question. I found a number of threads about the use of Programmable stats in general, but none which address the features in detail.
--
Cheers,
Set Square
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:31:45 -0000, Set Square wrote:

Do what I do when I want to find out what a bit of kit can (or can't do) read the instructions. Quite often you can get the installation and user instructions off the web...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I've done that too! But when there are lots to choose from, it takes quite a long time to download umpteen pdf files, so I'm hoping - with advice from contributors to this NG - to narrow it down to a shortlist.
--
Cheers,
Set Square
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:10:52 -0000, Set Square wrote:

The newer to the market and cheapo (<50) ones tend to restrict these things, the older ones not.

On the fly? ie suddenly decide that "today" is a weekend day rather than a weekday? Not sure any do that, the TP75 here has an "on" from first event to last event feature not sure what temp its sets presumably the 1st on one. Don't use it as there is awlays some one in and all days are programmed with the same thermal profile.

I doubt any don't have those abilties.

Just use the jog buttons to set the temp the same as the next event or how we use ours just nudge it up a degree when it feels a little cool.
I'm more than happy with a Danfoss TP75.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I find four sections - night, morning first thing, day and evening fine. If the house is to be empty during the day, I switch the programmer to the older twice a day setting.
--
*Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle drugs.

says...

days can be different), over-ride current temperature for this period or for n hours (useful if you've staying up late), 99 day holiday mode, optimise mode etc
Peter
"Peter Watson"

Ditto, I have the optimum start as well and that is very good
I'm sure it would even make the coffee if I asked it nice enough!
Angela

If we're playing "mine's bigger than yours" then I've got one with the radio controlled time setting module as well so it's still right when the clocks change:)
Rgds
Andy R
"Andy R" wrote in message

Yeah, yeah but mine is cute !!! :-)

Second that!....
--
Tony Sayer

i can 't do that but the times can be set with complete flexibility.

Check your household insurance - mine specifies (and i think it is pretty common) that when the house is unoccupied that the CH be left on a minimum temp - I think mine is 15 C. so turning it off isn't much use. A holiday function that left it on a set temp until the end of the holiday would be useful however. I'd leave mine on anyway to avoid the possibility of burst pipes while away.

Mine has an Advance button which does exactly that.
It is an ACL PT371 (is this the same as Drayton?)
The function that I would really like however is the ability to switch from an 'at home' program to an 'at work' program for an individual day - I don't always know until the day if I will be working out of the house.
Certainly they are useful though, being able to set a lower temp at night but leave the heating on, and a slightly lower temp in the middle of the day, when we tend to be more active I guess has improved the comfort level of the house.
--
Chris French, Leeds

Unless I've remembered wrongly the CM67 holiday setting incorporates frost protection (5C?). 15C is IMO high for an unoccupied property unless you have valuable antiques or suchlike,
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser

Thinking about it that might be the case with mine, I can't remember.

my current co. which I changed to last year as with the old one IIRC.
--
Chris French, Leeds

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:05:05 GMT, Tony Bryer wrote:

I'd also be surprised if ordinary household the insurance stated a minimum temp. Keeping the property frost free is something else and the TP75 when in holiday mode does that rather than always off. Default is 6C I think but can be overridden.
It's not a feature I will use here, to much thermal lag. Did go away one autumn before frosts set in and switched the heating off. Took 3 days for the place to stabilise again. Thick stone walls hold and/or absorb a lot heat.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:31:42 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"

You can set it to any value you like. My only gripe with it is that it rather advertises to any burglar who might break in, just how long the house is likely to be unoccupied.

I once let a fairly modern brick-built house drop to about 10-11C. IIRC, it took well over 24 hours of continuous heating before it even *felt* warm, let alone measured anything reasonable. If I was to bother now (and I often don't), I'd choose something nearer 15C, and have the holiday period end a full day before I was expecting to return.
I have a Danfoss TP75. It does everything the OP wants, apart from the set-any-day-to-one-of-two-profiles feature. I doubt any will do that, though. My only real complaint is the proportional control insists on over-shooting first. It does have a one-button time change facility too, radio clock synching sounds a bit ott.
--
How can I fail when I have no purpose?

Mail john rather than nospam...